JIRA Cloude VSCode extension on WSL2

Rolf Chen September 3, 2020

When using the extension with WSL2, it doesn't allow me to login and says:

Authentication cannot be done while running remotely

Is there a way around this? or can I initiate the connection from WSL2's Ubuntu with some command line?

2 answers

0 votes
Madson Germano March 20, 2024

2024 and, still, Atlassian extension is not fully working in WSL.

My workaround is based on some previous answers: 
First I open VSCode in windows and click on the extension to ensure login.
Then I can eventually close and access VSCode from some WSL folder and it works.

0 votes
Pramod Busam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 18, 2020

@Rolf Chen We are actively working on supporting VS Code remote development. You can watch this issue for progress - https://bitbucket.org/atlassianlabs/atlascode/issues/429/can-not-login-into-bitbucket-cloud-from.

Meanwhile, can you try disconnecting from WSL, then authenticating with Jira from the extension settings, and connecting to WSL again and see if that works?

felipe_rios October 15, 2020

@Pramod Busam when I do this, Jira works on windows but still not on wsl. What's more, if I close vscode and reopen it on windows I start getting an error again.

This is the error message I get:  "cannot get client for: Jira"

Josh Wilson March 25, 2021

I, too, am running into this.

I was able to get it working by authenticating while not connecting to WSL and then connecting. I was able to work with the jira extension features for a day or two while in WSL and then tonight it mysteriously stopped working with the same error that @felipe_rios mentioned.

I followed these steps, but it did not resolve my issue: https://bitbucket.org/atlassianlabs/atlascode/issues/407/jira-issues-not-working-anymore

If I run VSCode without WSL, the extension works as expected.

Would you have any further advice at this point?

rberga October 14, 2021

Disconnection from WSL as suggested above, installing the JIra/Bitbucket extension on VSCode (local, not wsl), then it allowed me to authenticate to Bitbucket from inside VSCode. After I went back into VSCode on WSL2, and it worked.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events