JIRA Cloud in Slack - How to connect a different JIRA account

abigaels October 15, 2020

Hello,

I changed roles in my company and I am now using a different JIRA instance. The previous one is connected to the JIRA Cloud app in Slack and I can't manage to change it to the new one.

I can log out but when I click Login I am always redirected to a list of permissions to allow from the old JIRA instance.

Anyone can help?

Thanks,

Abigael

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 21, 2020

Hi Abigael, welcome to the Community!

The Jira Cloud integration in Slack works at your Atlassian Account level - once your Atlassian account (based on your email address) is authorized to Slack, all the Jira Cloud sites you have access to should be available.

Using the /jira connect command in Slack, you can see all the Jira Cloud sites that your connected account can access. I've highlighted that dropdown here:

image.png

One thing to double-check is that the "Logged in as _____@company.com" line has the right email address. Just moving roles in-company I would assume that you're still using the same email address, but if for some reason the new Jira instance you're trying to connect to added you with a different email address, that might be the culprit.

I hope that helps explain things a little and please let me know if you're still stuck!

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support 

rlangevoort March 26, 2021

Sorry to break in on this thread. I have this issue where I have multiple slack workspaces and multiple Jira accounts. Jira is added two of the slack workspaces. However, I can't figure out how to switch the Jira accounts in slack. I receive messages for both, but I can only answer to one; the other one says "no access" and that's indeed not the one showing as the logged in email address. 

Where can I log out and log back in with my other email address?

Thanks!

Rick

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 30, 2021

Hi @rlangevoort , welcome! You should be able to use the /jira logout command in the Slack instance you need to change Jira email addresses in. When you run this, you'll be logged out and have a green "Log In" button available in Slack:

image.png

Clicking the button will start the login flow! First you'll authorize the Jira Cloud for Slack app in your browser (this is on Slack's website), and then you'll be directed to log in to an Atlassian account. At that point, you can use the other email address / Atlassian account you needed to switch to for that Slack workspace. Cheers!

Like Phyllis Wong likes this
rlangevoort March 31, 2021

Thanks!

triff September 8, 2021

Hi Daniel,

I'm currently on a couple of projects for different developers, each with their own Jira/Conf Cloud. Is it possible to receive notifications from all of these within Slack if they're on different email addresses?

The only way I can see is to log out of one and into another, which would then only show me that company's updates.

Thanks!

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
September 9, 2021

Hi @triff ,

That's currently correct - the Slack integration currently connects to Jira Cloud with a 1:1 relationship between the Slack user and the Atlassian account (where the login is an email address). A single Atlassian account can be a member of multiple Jira/Confluence Cloud sites, so I don't see the architecture of the connection being likely to change. We would just expect additional developers to add you to their sites using a single email address (and thus Atlassian account).

I can think of a couple possibilities you might use to work around this:

1. The Slack <-> Atlassian Cloud account is managed per-workspace in Slack. If you are a member of multiple Slack workspaces (for example, one for each of these clients), you could use the /jira connect command in each of these Slack workspaces in order to connect them to different emails/Atlassian accounts. This includes any workspaces you create under Slack's Free plan (which includes 10 integrations like Jira Cloud).
  2. If you're on macOS, you could use the native Jira Cloud for Mac app to get push notifications. While this app also supports one Atlassian Account at a time, this could be a separate one from the one you're using on your primary Slack workspace.
triff September 15, 2021

Hi Daniel, thanks for the response.

Some good suggestions there, but it sounds like I’m out of options with the setups of these two companies - I’m PC based and one of the companies doesn’t use Slack. I was hoping to have everything Jira related get reported to Slack, which my company uses and I spend a lot of time in.

In practice it’s not as bad as I thought it was going to be, but that could well change when I have more than one task on the unconnected Jira… 😀

Thanks again,

triff

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events