JIRA Automation Story Point Estimate

Yash Attal April 9, 2020

For Next-Gen JIRA Automation, I am trying to sum the story point estimate of the subtasks into the story point estimate field of the story. Unfortunately, under the edit issue action, I cannot find the field story point estimate at all. How do I get the story point estimate field to appear for the story so that I can set up the smart value?

4 answers

17 votes
Eugene Kulabuhov July 3, 2021

This is how you can configure it through "Additional fields":

Project-automation-Jira.png

Mike Savvin August 31, 2021

It works, thanks!

Like Raj Shrestha likes this
Raj Shrestha October 19, 2021

Life saver. It worked successfully. Thank you.

Jeffrey Bistrong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2021

agreed life saver!!

Ganoes December 5, 2022

thanks!

Igor Repeta January 24, 2023

Saved my day. Thanks!

Nelson Insignares November 14, 2023

It is updating parent to zero.

Captura de pantalla 2023-11-14 113830.jpg

Is there something wrong?

0 votes
Jeffrey Noël April 1, 2021

2021, what's up with that ?

Daniel Versoza Alves May 19, 2021

Still waiting...

0 votes
Victoria Santos June 15, 2020

So... let me understand this correctly. Atlassian released a "fairly broken" product and teams that received emails to update to "Nextgen" projects are basically crap out of luck?
Automated reporting is basically useless unless you manually update the story level points. What is the ETA that Atlassian will make "Nextgen" projects a "fairly" working product?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 16, 2020

Hello @Victoria Santos

Sorry that we gave you this perception and feeling about the Next-gen projects. Please, allow me to clarify some concepts so we can confirm we are on the same page here:

Jira automation is not a functionality developed by Atlassian. In fact, it was developed by a third-party partner (Codebarrel) and acquired by Atlassian a few months ago. Before that, it was a third-party app that had a separate billing.

Jira Automation was developed to work with Classic projects, years before even the creation of Next-gen projects. Since Next-gen projects were created to use unique entities and a completely different architecture as a simpler solution, Jira automation does not work properly for Next-gen projects and it was defined that updates must be done.

With the acquirement and integration of the automation app to the main Jira application, we started to work to get those bugs fixed, while some of them have proved to be really difficult to address due to the different architecture of both Project types.

That being said, Next-gen projects are not a "fairly broken" project type, however, it does not work properly with the recently acquired automation functionality due to the initial architecture used for both applications which were related to two completely different DEV teams (Atlassian and Codebarrel).

While we work to get those bugs addressed, we recommend you to use the Classic projects template to properly integrate with the Automation for Jira.

Like Kyrylo Kliushev likes this
Gabriel Le Breton June 8, 2021

> Jira automation does not work properly for Next-gen projects and it was defined that updates must be done.

So all that complex ui and automation is just not working right? 🔥

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 10, 2020

Hello @Yash Attal

Thank you for reaching out.

Indeed, Next-gen specific features and custom fields (as Story Point Estimate) are not properly rendered by Automation for Jira. The reason behind this behavior is that Next-gen uses different APIs for these features, so they are not properly recognized/mapped in Jira automation.

That being said, we have a feature request opened to adjust the Next-gen API with Jira Automation:

NextGen Software projects are fairly broken in cloud 

Please, keep an eye in that feature request to receive any updates about its fix implementation. Since the automation for Jira app was recently acquired by Atlassian, we also have now our own development team engaged to improve the integration with next-gen projects. Hopefully, we will have good news to share about this anytime soon.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Willie Husselmann May 12, 2020

Any further updates on this?

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS