JIRA API access through Okta or another SSO identity provider

Abhishek Sharma October 10, 2018

Hi,

We have jira (cloud) access configured through OAuth with Okta SSO as Identity provider (IDP).

This works well for accessing JIRA website.

However, I want to access JIRA REST API. I cannot use Basic Auth because I do not have a jira username/password (we have SSO through Okta).

What is the process to call JIRA APIs through Okta SSO.

I would think that there would be a way to get a access token from okta, using my okta username and password and then providing that access token to jira for authentication, but I was not able to find any documentation regarding this.

Can you please let me know what is the workflow for accessing JIRA REST API through Okta SSO (or any other SSO)

4 answers

2 votes
Hubert Cross May 7, 2019

This still seems to be broken. We are moving to Okta for SSO and I cannot access the REST API through it during testing. Will Atlassian provide a solution other than adopting their specific Crowds SSO product?

Ankit
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 8, 2019

Hi Hubert,

Can you let me know how using Crowd can resolve this issue of API access? I am trying to create a solution for this issue of API access for users created through SSO on Jira Server.

0 votes
agzam April 4, 2019

I would love to find a way to make this https://github.com/Netflix-Skunkworks/go-jira work for non-cloud/private Jira, sitting behind Okta. If anyone knows how, please tell me.

Deleted user April 5, 2019

If you’re working with semi-automatic processing, one way is to login with your browser, grab the jsessionid cookie, and include that same cookie in your api requests.

0 votes
Abhishek Sharma October 10, 2018

Thanks @Brant Schroeder

If I use Oauth, then JIRA will be the oauth provider, but it may not be the identity provider for the user who is trying to access JIRA resources.

As a end user, my access to jira is through Okta (or Google account), so when the app which is registered with jira prompts me to log into jira, will I be able to log in with my google account ?

It seems almost like two layers of oauth/saml authentication.  My app uses is registration with Jira (clientid/secret) to redirect the user to jira login. Jira uses its authentication trust with Okta (or Google) to further redirect for a Okta/Google login.

EndUser ---->Login----> MyApp ----Oauth----> Jira ----Oauth/SAML---->Okta(or Google)

Will this work ?

Balaji Dommaraju January 3, 2019

Hi @Abhishek Sharma

I too searching work flow for same requirement but I no luck. Have you found any solution.

Is there any way to authenticate JIRA rest api by OKTA access token. 

Carl Puerschner January 14, 2019

@Abhishek Sharma @Brant Schroeder - I, too, am looking to for a solution to this same problem.  Any progress or news that can be shared?

Thanks!

Abhishek Sharma January 14, 2019

I have not found a solution to this yet. I did not dig much deeper after i last committed. If anyone finds a solution then please post it here.

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2018

Suggest an answer