Issues not in backlog

David Anderson June 28, 2015

Only a few of the open issues for a project show under Backlog. I cant assign an issue to a sprint without it showing up in the Backlog list

7 answers

4 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2015

Ah, found it.

Your "open" status is in your "Done" column.  That means it doesn't need planning for because it's done, so it doesn't appear in the backlog.  When you move it to "inProcess", it appears because it's no longer "done"

I'd reconfigure the board - move "open" into the "to do" column on the left.

I think your workflow is fine for organising stuff, although I don't know your desired processes.  As for subtasks, they're for breaking up a piece of work into smaller pieces - I wouldn't try to plan or estimate on them, they're more for developers thought processes for "this is a big piece, let's get it down into chunks we can allocate to different people".  For items that are going to take weeks or months, consider using Epics for them - Agile Scrum tends to want you to work in sprints, and not have items that are bigger than a sprint.

1 vote
Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2015

You should check your filter for the backlog; sounds like it's been filtered away. "Your board" > Board > Configure > General > Edit filter query. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2015

The missing ones might also be sub-tasks which don't need to appear in the backlog because their parent issues (selected by the filter) are what need to be prioritised.

Like Steve Walosin likes this
0 votes
David Anderson June 30, 2015

project = "Digital Rain Bucket and Anemometer" ORDER BY due

Columns.JPG

ViewonBoard.JPG

To make DRBA-43 to show up I clicked on Miscellaneous ( or Design) and the status changed to “InProcess”. I’m fairly unclear on the use of WorkFlow and SubTasks to organize a mechanical project where tasks take several weeks to complete.

richard johnson August 1, 2020

Hello there! I guess I found the solution to your problem! (after 5 years! :)) but I hope someone would make use of it!) I faced the same problem when I changed my workflow!

To fix it, simply go to: board settings > Columns 

Here, make sure that no status exists in the " Unmapped statuses " column!

Any issue with an unmapped status WILL NOT show up in the backlog!

Like insanovation likes this
insanovation November 19, 2020

Super helpful, @richard johnson ! :)

0 votes
David Anderson June 30, 2015

This one does not show in backlog

DoesntShow.JPG

Here's the workflow

Workflow.JPG

This one shows

Shows.JPG

0 votes
David Anderson June 29, 2015

Aha - they don't show up in the backlog until work is started on them. Is there someway to get around this? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2015

Something wrong with your setup there. How are you defining "start work" here? What changes?

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2015

Hey David, screenshots are most helpful in these situations.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2015

Ok, great example, lots of data to work with :-) Now some quick config questions: - What, exactly, is the filter for the board? - Is "Open" mapped to a column on your board? (I don't think this is an issue at all, but I'd like to check) And then the non-config questions: - If you click "Agile -> view on board" on the invisible one, where does it take you? - What do you mean by "start work"? What changes? What do you do to DRBA-43 that makes it appear in the backlog?

0 votes
David Anderson June 29, 2015

The filter is very basic: project = "Digital Rain Bucket and Anemometer" ORDER BY due

Here's what I did:

1. Select project from Projects tab
  2. Select Issues using icon on left - 15 open issues appear
  3. Select backlog using the icon on left - 5 issues appear in Sprint, no issues appear in backlog

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2015

What types of issues are the 15 and the 5? (Well, 10 and 5, but you know what I'm getting at)

0 votes
Benito Picarelli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 29, 2015

As Ivar mentioned, have you checked the query in the board and attempted to use that same JQL outside of AGILE to see if you get those issues as a result? You might be filtering those issues out.

Suggest an answer