It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Issues marked as Done still appears in a New Sprint

We configured our workflow so that we have have a status of Deployed (for code that has been successfully tested and deployed). This status is mapped to a category of Done in the status definition screen. We also have status of a Closed in the workflow, for issues that are resolved for other than deployed status. This status is also mapped to a category of Done.

The problem that we're having is that when we set the status for an issue to Deployed, we're expecting these issues to drop off when we create a new sprint since these issues were resolved from the previews sprint. 

How do we get this to work?

5 answers

4 votes
nic Community Leader Feb 20, 2018

A board and sprint's definition of done is "in the far right hand column on the board".  The status and category do not matter beyond the status being in that column.

Make sure "closed in the workflow" and "deployed" are included in the last column.

Make sure "closed in the workflow" and "deployed" are included in the last column.

It seems there's more to this than that. Our rightmost column is just called "Done" and issues marked as "Done" are moving to the next sprint. (We have it set so that there are different resolution options when moving an issue to the right most column, but that only affects the "Resolution" field which you said doesn't matter).

nic Community Leader May 14, 2019

Do the issues that move have sub-tasks that are not also in the done column?

Like Paul Klapperich likes this

When issues have incomplete sub-tasks we get an error and can't even attempt to close the sprint. ("Sprint cannot be completed as there are incomplete subtasks on the following issues...")

But you pointed me in the right direction. It was the opposite; there were a couple of large parent tasks in the verify column who had all of their subtasks in done. Thanks!

Like Laurent Bierge likes this
nic Community Leader May 14, 2019

Ahh, nicely spotted.  Sub-tasks are not the obvious one to think of, but I'm glad I helped you find the missing issues by mentioning them!

Like Paul Klapperich likes this

Create two (or more) Boards: First board is your current board with columns for all steps of the workflow showing. This is for the team's day to day issue management. Create a second board with all 'Resolved' issue statuses (i.e. Deployed and Closed) in the last column. Use the Second board specifically for closing sprints. This will ensure story points for all resolved issues are accounted for in velocity and sprint reports, while having the other board to show all statuses clearly.

Do you add a resolution to the ticket when it is considered 'done'? Without a resolution, Jira keeps the ticket open... 

@Marco Santiago

in-addition to  previous  comments,

make sure that  active sprint is completed.

if not  go  to   active sprints  >  complete sprint   they should disappear and you can view them in reports.

Best!

We have the same set up and problem. Last two columns of the board are for issues that are 'Done'. When moving issues into 2nd to last workflow step, the resolution screen comes up and tickets are marked with a resolution (i.e. Done, Won't Do, Cannot Reproduce, etc.). There is no change in Resolution status when moving into the last workflow step.

When I click Complete sprint on the Active Sprint page, I would expect all issues with a Resolution (i.e. Done) would drop from the sprint, but they roll over to the next sprint. This causes Done issues to be in the new sprint and not credit these Done tickets to the velocity.

We don't want to put two states in the last column because we lose visibility of this status and cannot drag between columns.

nic Community Leader Jun 11, 2018

As before,

A board and sprint's definition of done is "in the far right hand column on the board".  The status and category do not matter beyond the status being in that column.

The resolution is also irrelevant.  Look at the "done" column.

@nicThanks for that clarification.

The solution is as follows:

• Ensure your "Deployed" status is mapped to the far right column of your board
  • If you actually don't want to see those completed/done issues any more on the board during an active sprint, edit your board's Filter query to exclude issues in the status Deployed ( " AND Status != Deployed ").

Once you move them to this status, they will disappear from the board, but as they are technically mapped to the far right column, they won't be carried forward to the next sprint :-)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Early Access: If you use Jenkins and Jira Software Cloud, you need to read this!

The Jira Software Cloud Team has been busy working on a simple, secure, and reliable way to integrate your build and deployment information from Jenkins with Jira Software Cloud. This means you don’t...

710 views 0 11
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you