Issues disappear from sprint after code commit

Pascal Oblonczek July 1, 2019

Hello, Community!

since I upgraded to JIRA 8.2.2 (from 8.2.0) + Bitbucket Server 6.4.0 (from 6.2.0) I experience a strange behaviour in our sprint boards:

When new commits which mention the issue are rolling in, the corresponding issue is removed from the currently running spring. It can be found in the backlog then.

Expected behaviour would be that the issue remains part of the sprint.

Kanban boards are not affected (for obvious reasons - no sprints existing).

With 8.2.0 the issues was not present.
The logs show nothing.

Does anybody experience the same issue?

8 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 26, 2020

Hi @Pascal Oblonczek 

We have investigated this behavior after a customer raised a support ticket with us. 

We were able to reproduce the behavior and concluded it as a  bug which is tracked here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-71091

SLCarter May 26, 2020

Thanks for the link.  I've supported it by indicating it affects my team.  Hopefully others will do the same.

Pascal Oblonczek May 27, 2020

Hi, @Adrian Stephen 

Good to see progress here.

Thanks for keeping the issue updated despite its age.

Best,
Pascal

Diana Lucía Giraldo Giraldo July 8, 2021

I saw the ticket is closed, but today the issue still happens.

Diana Lucía Giraldo Giraldo July 8, 2021

I am sorry, I checked again with the documentation and basically it happens due the configuration of the board. Once you checked on the configuration that all the status you need are mapped within a "status column" it will display the issue in the active sprint backlog and active sprint board.

0 votes
Denis Spiridonov April 6, 2020

We have the same problem on 8.3.0, installed on-premise.

Some issues disappear from active sprint and boards. They can be found in the end of the backlog.

Re-indexing MAY help for a while but soon issues start disappearing again. As a result team simply does not see the issues on the board :(

Does anyone have solution for the problem?

0 votes
SLCarter March 4, 2020

I'm having the same problem in that when commits happen in bitbucket (v6.8.0) the issue often disappears from the active sprint web page in jira (v8.5.1) but it is still listed against the sprint on the backlog web page.

The only way I've found to fix things is to perform a reindex operation after which everything that should be on the active sprint is there again, but I'm having to do the reindexing multiple times a day as members of my development team report that they can no longer find their issues on the active sprint page.

All the transitions in my workflow have the Post Function "Re-index an issue to keep indexes in sync with the database." as the all but last action which is added by default by Jira when a transition is added.

0 votes
Gregory Koldman December 25, 2019

Same problem. Some completed (Done) issues disappear from active sprint and boards.

Jira 8.5.1, simple filter, no special triggers. Re-indexing always helps.

This seems to be happening only with the issues that were already in the previous completed sprints.

0 votes
Nicolas November 19, 2019

Hi everyone,

Same problem here within 8.4.2: Some few issues (always the same) disappear regularly from the Sprint view and show-up within Backlog, although being clearly taged for this print.

The one I have for the moment has more subtasks (8) than others, and quite some git commits associated with... maybe the reason? Just following this thread to have more information...

0 votes
Tom Critchlow October 8, 2019

I am also encountering this issue on 7.13.8 - commits or creating/merging a pull request makes the issue dissappear from the sprint until I reindex.

jmagnette October 9, 2019

In Jira 8.2.2, I now only have this for tickets that are "in progress"
If I manually go in the ticket and change the "in progress" to another state, then the ticket appears in the sprint view again, by itself. There must be an hidden state/filter that makes the ticket go out of the view somehow....

0 votes
jmagnette August 6, 2019

@Pascal Oblonczek 
Hey Pascal, have you find a way to solve that issue ?

I also experience the same weird behavior.
I have a ticket in my current running sprint, but I do not commit anything.
The ticket sometimes "disappear" from the sprint view.
If I go in the Backlog, then I see it out of the sprint. If I check the ticket history, nothing says it was removed from the sprint.
It actually still says it is linked to the sprint...
If I move it back into the sprint, I have the "scope will change" warning, but actually nothing changes...
The ticket then is again in the sprint view, but will again disappear at some point.

By moving the ticket order (so changing its ranking), it seems to not be removed from the sprint anymore. Could you check on your side if it also fixes the issue ?

This is really a weird behavior discovered in 8.2.2.

Update: trick didn't last long... I did a new commit/Jenkins build and it was removed again (visually)

Pascal Oblonczek August 25, 2019

Hi, jmagnette,

no, I did not find a solution. Since we use Kanban in all other projects with the exception of this one, I decided to accelerate the transition. We don't use sprint boards anymore. Probably not a viable solution for everybody.

Regards,
Pascal

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2019

Hello,

I would check the workflow for an issue, which disappeared from a sprint. There must be a trigger set, which moves the issue to a status, which is not selected by your board.

Dear Alexey,

update: A second full re-index of JIRA solved the issue apparently.

thanks for the fast response. Unfortunately, there is no status in our workflow that is not covered by the board. There is not a single trigger either.

A commit does not change anything on the issue's status. In my particular case, the issues is still "In Progress". It is just that the issues is not visible on the sprint's board any longer.

The board has a minimal filter "project = ABC ORDER BY Rank ASC".

So the affected project is a minimal Scrum Template based project. No fancy stuff.

The behavior is:

1. Issue "ABC-123" is part of say "Sprint 6" and "In Progress"
  2. A commit arrives in Bitbucket with a commit message like "ABC-123 Fix form validation regression"
  3. The issue still "In Progress" but is no longer visible on the sprint's board,  the burndown chart does not indicate any scope change.

Most interestingly, when I view the issue's detail page I do see the link to sprint is still intact but it wont's show on the board anyway.

A full re-index of JIRA and a restart of the app did not help.

Really confusing.

Second update: After some time and more commits the Issue disappears from the board again.

The re-index did not fix the issue :-(

I seem to hit a bug. The only configuration change was the update from JIRA 8.2.0 to 8.2.2

Like Denis Spiridonov likes this

Suggest an answer