Issues (Epics and Tasks) in te status backlog do not show up in Backlog section

Karl Bornscheuer August 18, 2022

Issues (Epics and Tasks) in te status backlog do not show up in Backlog section but in  Kanban column backlog. In any status the user can move the itema with the three buttons to backlog. It disapears in Kanban but shows up in Ba cklog. 

I assumed that that the view Backlog is simply the collection of all items in the status backlog. 

Where do I make a mistake? 

Thanks in advance, Karl 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2022

Hello @Karl Bornscheuer 

Welcome to the community.

Are you working with a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project? It will say at the bottom of the navigation pane on the left.

With a Company Managed project Kanban board that has the Backlog feature enabled, you map a Status to the Backlog "column". Any issue in this status will show on the Backlog screen rather than in the board view.

In the below screen I show the Board Settings > Columns where I have mapped the Backlog status to the "Kanban Backlog" section. That will make issues in that status show on the Backlog Screen rather than on the Board, as shown in the second and third images.

Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 10.17.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 10.20.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 10.22.04 AM.png

If you have no Statuses mapped to the Kanban Backlog, then there will be no Backlog screen and issues in all statuses are shown on the Board view.

If you are using a Team Managed Kanban board, then the Backlog screen does show all issues of all statuses divided into two sections; Backlog and Board. The Board section of the Backlog screen shows all the issues on the Board. The Backlog sections shows all the issues that you have not yet moved to the board. Neither of these sections is based on Status. An issue in any Status can be in either the Backlog or the Board.

If that does not address your question, please let me know.

Laundry App August 18, 2022

I'm having the same difficulty, but on the Scrum board, it doesn't provide the Backlog feature. I'm not able to make the created items go to the backlog. Can you help me? @Trudy Claspill 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2022

Olá @Laundry App 

Bem-vindo à comunidade.

Os quadros Scrum incluem automaticamente o recurso Backlog.

Você pode fornecer imagens de tela do que você vê?

Além disso, diga-nos se este é um projeto gerenciado por equipe ou um projeto gerenciado pela empresa?

Laundry App August 18, 2022

WhatsApp Image 2022-08-18 at 17.36.25.jpegÉ um projeto gerenciado pela empresa.WhatsApp Image 2022-08-18 at 17.36.52.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-08-18 at 17.36.12.jpeg

Quando ADD o status backlog no quadro eles aparecem, mas ai tbm aparece no quadro.

@Trudy Claspill 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 19, 2022

@Laundry App 

Se você tiver um status na seção Status não mapeados, os problemas nesse status não serão exibidos na tela Backlog ou na tela Board. Você precisa mapear o Status para uma coluna.

Com os quadros do Scrum, os problemas não são colocados no Backlog com base em seu status. Os problemas na seção Backlog da tela Backlog podem estar em qualquer status. A tela Backlog serve para organizar seus problemas por prioridade e colocá-los em Sprints.

O que determina se os problemas são exibidos na tela do quadro é se eles forem adicionados a um Sprint ativo (iniciado).

Quando você olha para a tela Backlog, os problemas na seção Backlog da lista e os problemas nas seções Sprint para sprints que não foram iniciados não serão exibidos na tela Board. O Status do problema não afeta a tela em que o problema é exibido.

0 votes
Karl Bornscheuer August 21, 2022

@Trudy Claspill 

Hello Trudy, 

thanks for your detailed answer. I'm using team-managed project. 

I understood the atlassian functionality better from your reply: 
"If you are using a Team Managed Kanban board, then the Backlog screen does show all issues of all statuses divided into two sections; Backlog and Board. The Board section of the Backlog screen shows all the issues on the Board. The Backlog sections shows all the issues that you have not yet moved to the board. Neither of these sections is based on Status. An issue in any Status can be in either the Backlog or the Board."

I'm using the statuses as below. 
Since it is the same name I expected that any issue in the status   Backlog automatically shows up under the igation Backlog. This is not the case as you describe. 

image.png

Column Management does look different in my version. There is possibility to reeelate a status to Backlog.

My approach will be to rename the actual status "backlog" to "move2Backlog" and relate this status to a board column with the same name. Then to change the Workflow to start after creation with the status "To Do".

Thus it will be possible to keep a new issue planned to be worked on after evaluation on the Board. After discussion and evalaution it can be moved from Board to Backlog only not to be distracted on the Board view. Later it can be shed back to board into the status To Do. 

Does this make sense? 

Best regards 

Karl 

Remark: 

Creating a new issue is possible in different ways:

1. via CREATE on top level navigation
    Item is created in the defined status (ToDo). 
    Item is not related to an existing epic (manual step) 
    Item is related to Backlog and not to the Board (seems to be default - no option in project settings to my knowledge - correct?)
  2. creating new item from Board
    Item is created in the status one selected on the Board
    Item is related to Board 
  3. creating items from Backlog screen
    Item is created in the defined status (ToDo). 
    Item is related to either Backlog or Board depending where creation process started

Jira does handle a newly created issue

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 22, 2022

Hello @Karl Bornscheuer 

Regarding the three points at the end of your post, yes, you understood the first one correctly. When the Create button is used from the menu bar, the issue will automatically be added to the Backlog of the Team Managed Kanban board (when Backlog is enabled) and you cannot change that behavior.

Karl Bornscheuer August 23, 2022

Thanks Trudy,. 

And how about my understanding of Backlog? It can be a status but is a navigation item not related to the status. 

Like Christoph_Knoch likes this
Christoph_Knoch January 17, 2023

having the exact same issue and question :-) 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2023

@Karl Bornscheuer 

Sorry for the very late reply. Yes, you can have a Status named "Backlog" in a Team Managed project, but that does not have any explicit tie to the "Backlog" section of the Backlog screen. They are two separate things.

@Christoph_Knoch 

Welcome to the community!

Please state your issue and question explicitly. This post includes a lot of statements and questions and I don't want to make an assumption about the ones to which you are referring.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events