IssueSchemes when creating projects with the REST API

Jack C December 13, 2017

I'm creating project with the REST API. My data being sent to the API is as follows:

"key": 'mykey',
      "name":  'project name',
      "projectTypeKey": "business",
      "projectTemplateKey": "com.atlassian.jira-core-project-templates:jira-core-project-management",
      "description": "",
      "lead": 'jira-username',
      "url": "",
      "assigneeType": "PROJECT_LEAD",
      "avatarId": 10200,
      "categoryId": 'category-ID',

This creates projects fine, but will only let me assign standard tasks or sub-tasks to the project. I've seen examples using 'jira-blank-item' for the project template key as I understand the API will create unique schemes for issue types, screens, fields and workflows.

Is there any other way to assign issue types available for a project when creating it? If so, the same goes for screen schemes?

Where in my JIRA account would I find a list of project-templates?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Mathieu Yargeau January 12, 2018

Hello Jack,

Look at this link https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/REST/7.6.0/#api/2/project-createProject

This is the REST API for Jira 7.6.0. If you look at the schema, there is a way to set the IssueSecurityScheme, PermissionScheme and NotificationScheme. However, there is no way to set the other schemes. It takes the default scheme for the template you selected and makes a copy of it for the project you just created.

You can modify the Issue Type Scheme associated to the project after the project creation, but it is not very practical.

If you are looking for a way to simplify the project creation process, you can take a look at a plugin called Gaia for Jira https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/ca.nuum.gaia/server/overview

This allows you to configure a project template by specifying the schemes (on any type) you want to use for that project type (you even have the option of making a copy of that scheme at project creation, like Jira does). With that plugin, you could configure a Issue Type Scheme the way you want, create a project template with Gaia for Jira, and specify your scheme in it. That way, each time you create a project using that template, it will automatically set the correct schemes at the project creation. The plugin also comes with a REST API you can use to create projects by specifying the project name, key and Gaia template you want to use.

I hope this helps.

Suggest an answer