Issue type hierarchy

Marc-Andre Beauchesne April 19, 2021

Our hierarchy is Epic/Feature/Story/Task/Subtask.

But when i'm in the feature, the next step is create subtask. I could create a story and linked it to my feature but I prefer to created it directly into my feature by the button.

Do I have a way to configure it ?

Jira.png

Thanks

2 answers

3 votes
Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2021

Hello Marc André.

In Jira, you have some limitations regarding the hierarchy.

Level 1 : You can create an Epic and you can link it to a story, task or feature.

Level 2 : You can have a story, a task or a feature, linked to any Epic you want. The only thing needed is to put the field Epic link in that issue type's screen.

Level 3 : you can create a subtask or many subtasks inside a story, task or feature. 

You can only have 3 levels of hierarchy.

The only thing you can do in your admin is to change the type of task for feature for example, and make it a subtask issue type. You will then be able to create two types of subtask in a story or a task : either a subtask or a feature. But i don't think that is what you want.

Here is some more documentation to help you : https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-sub-tasks/

Tell me if it helped :)

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2021

>Epic/Feature/Story/Task/Subtask

Jira does not support this.  It does Epic / Story / Sub-task.

In order to support SAFe properly, there is work happening to enable Epic to be renamed to Feature safely. so that Align can work with the Epics (and above) / Feature / Story / Sub-task structure, rather than have to tell everyone "Jira calls SAFe Features Epics", but you're not going to be able to do your hierarchy with Jira.

Advanced Roadmaps will enable themes and initiatives above (Jira-)Epics, but the core of Jira remains Epic / Story / Sub-task.

You could try to build something that makes it look like there is your task layer or the Epic layer, but I would recommend letting someone else do all that work, and take a look at the Structure app if you really need that hierarchy.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events