Issue statistics

Jessica.Bevan August 5, 2020

Hi,

I'd like to display issue statistics on my JIRA dashboard by the column name, not the underlying status that the columns are mapped to. For example, my columns could be:

a -> b -> c

and they could be mapped to multiple statuses a1, a2, b1, c1, c2, c3 as part of the workflow but I only want to see the # of issues rolled up in to a, b or c 

I can only seem to choose "Status" which is too granular for our reporting - is there another option?

Thanks,

Jess

1 answer

1 vote
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2020

Hi @Jessica.Bevan 

There's not another field options natively..

• Status category isn't available in this gadget, and...
  • Board column is a variable; one project can have multiple boards with the same statuses mapped to multiple column names, so it'd be difficult to decipher without a board selection.

There are some board-based gadgets - such as the Agile Wallboard Gadget.

But if you want to use Issue Statistic - there is an alternative. It does rely on a common board layout per project - but you could add an automation rule to populate a custom field - Board Column.

Here's an example of how to do this:

1. As a Jira Admin, go to Jira Settings > Issues > Custom Fields (left-hand menu)
  2. Press the blue "Create custom field" button in the top-right corner
  3. Select the field "Select List (single choice)"
  4. Give the field a name (eg. "Board Column") and then provide the board columns as the options for the field
  5. Once created, Jira will ask if you want to add the field to a screen. I would advise not doing this (especially if you use the new issue view) - we are going to automate the population of this field so users shouldn't have the option to manually edit it
  6. Next, go to your project and select Project Settings
  7. Choose Automation from the left-hand menu
  8. Press the "Create Rule" button in the top-right corner
  9. For the rule's Trigger, use Issue Transitioned
  10. Next, add a Branch for the Current Issue
  11. Add a Condition - the Issue Fields Condition. Check the field Status is one of all the status in one of your board columns (eg. "Testing", "UAT" and "QA" might be three statuses in the column "Testing")
  12. Then, add an Action - Edit Issue. Choose to set your custom field "Board Column" to the correct column name based on the statuses
  13. Continue to add more branches - one per column - using conditions and actions to take different action across all column configurations
  14. Once complete, name and publish your rule

^ This creates a field which is based on your column mapping, which is automatically updated based on status transitions. You can utilise this field in the Issue Statistic gadget amongst others :)

Ste

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events