Issue's "Export Word" template editing

Deleted user November 17, 2020

Hi everybody again!

Issue's "Export Word" generates some default document which contains some fields that I don't need. Is there any "free" ways to customize that default template. For instance, Add company's logo an etc.

Thanks in advance!

2 answers

1 vote
Shruti Bansal April 5, 2023

Hi @[deleted] ,

I am shruti from miniOrange.

We have got a solution, PDF Exporter & Word Exporter for Jira Issues which can possibly cater to your requirements. The plugin provides an option to export just the fields you need also you can even create your own custom templates. 

On the same note, I would like you to know that this add-on is free up to 10 users! 

Just check it out once and feel free to let us know!

For more information, you can raise a ticket here or contact us directly at atlassiansupport@xecurify.com

Best regards,
Shruti

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2020

HI @[deleted] 

The short answer is "no", not with out of the box Jira.  The response to this suggestion from 2006 seems to indicate no plans to improve export to Word:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-10156

There might be a marketplace add-on for this, and I would suggest another approach:

• Export to a spreadsheet such as Excel
  • Use the mail merge capabilities of Word to create a document layout with whatever fields you want to show and how you want to show them.

This is how my teams have created story cards when we needed physical ones for planning, etc.

Best regards,

Bill

George grecu February 20, 2022

Hi Bill,

I am looking also at something similar to do for export of issues. Can you give me a bit more details on how you use the Mail Merge capability from word to link to the export Excel file of the issue?

I appreciate it!

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2022

Hi, George.  Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Essentially the steps are:

1. create a JQL filter for the issues you want,
  2. save the filter for reuse, 
  3. export all fields to a CSV file,
  4. open and resave that file as XLSX or XLS format
  5. create a new MS Word document, 
  6. use the step by step wizard to help you create the card format, and
  7. generate your report.

I suggest checking the version of MS Word and Excel you have, and then doing a search on Mail Merge...focusing on the results in the Microsoft documentation pages.  That should handle basic reporting for card layouts with merges.

Only investigate the non-MS articles on this if you need more complex layouts: conditional formatting with colors on cards, formulas in the cards from fields, etc.

Remember to save your merge Word document as a source for future reporting.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events