Issue layout

Andy Allison January 6, 2020

I have added a number of fields as context fields, 'Original estimate' & 'Time tracking' yet they are not appearing on any issue so we cannot add time estimates to any of our issues whether they are in the backlog or SFD.

Please can someone help out here? Anyone experienced the same issue?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ansar Rezaei
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2020

You need to add fields to the screen so you can see it. If you want to see an original estimate on the Edit screen, click on the edit button and by using Where is my field search for the TimeTracking field. 

Image result for jira where is my field

Same are existed for View and Create screen:

Image result for jira where is my field

When I go into the old view (I have to do this to be able to see the 'admin' tab as per your second screenshot...I want to type in 'original estimate' or time estimate and neither of these fields even exist according to Jira?

How am I supposed to add time estimates and track progress if I can't add it in the first place? So confusing....please help!?!?!

Like Ansar Rezaei likes this

I have this field as an option and have included it by editing in the 'issue layout' tab.

image.pngbut it still isn't showing on any of the issues on our board.

Like Ansar Rezaei likes this
Ansar Rezaei
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2020

time tracking is a built-in Jira filed and when you add it to your screen you have both Original estimate and remaining estimate field. 

The previous comment about seeing and editing the field on the issue page. If you want to see a field in card view on boards you should add them from board configuration as follow:

1. Click the Jira icon (, or ) > Projects > then select the relevant project.
  2. Go to your Scrum backlog, Active sprintsKanban backlog (if enabled), or Kanban board.
  3. Go to ••• > Board settings and click Card layout.
  4. Add or delete fields as desired.

You could find more detail here.

Andy Allison January 8, 2020

This all makes sense. Thanks Ansar...the issue is that I have added it to the cards as a field, regardless of whether it is empty or not, but it just isn't appearing on a card. 

It appears in the card layout, as you explain above but yet still not displaying.

Ansar Rezaei
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2020

Hi @Andy Allison 

If you want, I could check it out for you using AnyDesk. Just let me know your time zones with your preferred times for this.

Like John Funk likes this
Andy Allison January 9, 2020

Hi @Ansar Rezaei 

That would be brilliant. I am GMT, could you do 4pm GMT today?

Andy

Like # people like this
Ansar Rezaei
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2020

Hi

Sorry, I see your comment now, I'm Ok with now, could you send a message on Whatsapp?

Steve Sollberger March 11, 2020

Hi,

Sorry for jumping in here. I have the same problem, can I ask if you are able to explain what the solution is? If you found one.

Thanks!

Andy Allison March 12, 2020

Hey @Steve Sollberger 

Yes, @Ansar Rezaei was able to help me solve this. Bit fiddly to find the right screen to enable this.

Our project is a 'Software project', you need to go to Jira settings > Issues > Field configuration.

Then from here you need to scroll down to find 'Time tracking' and ensure it is enabled so that it displays on your tickets.

Hope that helps!

Andy

Like # people like this
Steve Sollberger March 12, 2020

Hi @Andy Allison 

Thanks for that! I managed a workaround to change the screen my project was using to one that happened to have the time tracking filed associated with it. But you've helped me manage the way each screen looks. It makes sense now!

Cheers!

Steve

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2020

Hi Andy - have you checked the Permission Scheme to see who has the ability to Log Work?

Andy Allison January 8, 2020

Yes I have permission, I am full admin so have permission to do anything in our Jira instance. This is very frustrating I have to say!! 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2020

Just remember that having full admin permissions in Jira does not grant you full access on all projects - it depends on what the Permission Scheme actually says. You have actually looked at the scheme, but I wasn't sure based on how your comment was phrased. 

Have you tried both the Old Jira View and the New Jira View? And still no fields? 

Suggest an answer