Issue created automation not working

Irena Lam May 4, 2020

I use Next-Gen Jira and tried to set up an automation rule where when a new story issue is created to automatically create new task issues. After creating the rule, it didn't seem to work. Anyone know why? Our team is small so everyone is an admin so it shouldn't be permissions related. 

Is it not working b/c we use Next-Gen Jira versus the traditional one?

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 2.58.54 PM.png

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2020

Hi Irena,

What is not working? Is there an error? Can you share a screenshot of the Audit log?

Irena Lam May 5, 2020

Actually, I'm back! running into issues with another rule I tried to create (creating an epic should automatically create a task with the IF statement Epic issue assigned as the parent of the THEN created issue). Here's the automation rule and the audit log error I got.

Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 9.20.25 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-05 at 9.21.26 AM.png

Audit log after I published the rule and created an Epic expecting a child task to be created automatically.
Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 9.18.47 AM.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2020

And you are sure that KARAT-2198 is an Epic?

If so, try putting another Condition in front of that one for the Project

Condition: If project = ABC

Condition: If issue type = Epic

Like Sarah Kladstrup likes this
Irena Lam May 5, 2020

Hm it's passing the first condition (if project = ABC) but not the second condition (if issue type = Epic) even though the issue I created is an Epic.

Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 3.10.24 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-05 at 3.10.42 PM.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2020

Sorry, I lost track of the original discussion - the problem is that Next-gen does not currently handle Epics in the proper way like Classic projects. That is why it is failing to recognize the Epic.  :-(

Irena Lam May 6, 2020

Ah, I see. That's disappointing. Another reason for us to switch from next gen to classic then. thank you for your help!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 7, 2020

🙂

0 votes
Madison Lewis
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 9, 2020

@John Funk Hi John - is the Issue Created automation not working again? I set up a automation where if a certain Issue Type is created, it should assign a certain value to the Components field. I applied the same conditions to a Issue Edited automation and it worked. Please advise when you can. Thanks

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2020

Hi Madison - Can you share the rule that is not working? And probably the one that IS working. 

0 votes
Christoph
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 20, 2020

I'm struggling with the exact same problem and it's not solved for me, sadly. I am trying to set up a global automation rule for next-gen-projects here that would fill certain epics with a set of predefined tasks. Strange thing is that the rule fails to recognize epics in some projects, in others it seems to work though I can't see a difference in the projects. Some times I can get it to work when I switch the conditions I set up so that the issue type is not the first one.

But it also fails to see that for instance the "subtask" issue type (generated by the adding the standard subtask issue type from the settings) is actually ONE issue type regardless of project. It seems that every project's subtask issue is recognized as a standalone issue type. So I can select from really many subtask issue types in the "create subtask" action when configuring the rule. Obviously it would then work only in the specific project I'd have managed to hit there. But I need the rule to work for every project if it is supposed to be of any use for my scenario :o/

My experience with automation so far is that it looks really great and I could easily set up rules that look like they'd do exactly what I was wishing for - except for that they don't, at least globally. I managed to set up a single project rule so that everything works as intended. Global rules seem to just not work for me :o(

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 24, 2020

The problem is that Next-gen projects are not currently setup for Automation for Jira to handle Epics on those types of projects. That's probably why it works sometimes and not others. 

Tom Bowden January 29, 2021

Hi Christoph same problem for me. It's something to do with the Global rule not recognising a new project at first. I was trying to use manual trigger from an issue, and creating new epics in "same project as trigger". Interestingly, If I point the global rule to my new project just one time, save it, then switch back to "same project as trigger", it remembers the project forevermore. However, that obviously defeats the point of using automation...

My error was "Could not find create find meta data for project/typeId xxxxx/xxxxx"

Christoph
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 29, 2021

Yes well that's not really automation then, is it... :o/ I wonder if it continues to work for the other projects after it has been pointed to the new project?

@John Funk: has anything changed regarding automation for next-gen projects in the mean time so that it would make sense for me to test it again?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 29, 2021

Not that I am aware of.

Like Christoph likes this
Stefan Grob September 18, 2022

Hi Christoph - did you get a solution to your issue? I have the same troubles when changing an automation rule to global settings: for one project, all works fine. then i change the rule to a global rule - it doesn't work anymore - i get your error-message. thanks for helping me.

0 votes
Irena Lam May 5, 2020

Looks like it's fixed actually! Thanks everyone for reaching out to help me :) 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2020

Glad it is working for you now.  :-)

0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2020

Hello @Irena Lam ,

I tested the same conditions and it is effective in the next gen project.

Have you enabled it?

QQ截图20200505154256.png

BTW: Are there any differences in the field settings between your Story and Task? For example, some required fields and so on.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events