Issue collector - Advanced Scripting

Michael DiRenzo November 4, 2023

I am using Issue Collector (IC) in a Confluence page.  The IC renders and operates perfectly - in an iFrame as designed.  However, within the IC configuration within Jira, there are certain places to customize the IC UI that I wish to control from Confluence:

• Collector Message Template   - rendered as H2 tag
  • Collector Message Text - rendered error class and appears as red text

I have attempted to use jQuery to get a context of these two items with the hopes of replacing the HTML with my own content - but to no avail.  Since the IC bootstrap code is contained in the iFrame, from an app security perspective I cannot get a context.

Similar to window.ATL_JQ_PAGE_PROPS field Values, I wanted to set Message Template and Message Text to something custom.  For example, my wish was to replace the boring Message Template H2 tag code with an image and custom title.  

Is there something that I am missing here?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 13, 2024

Hi Michael,

I understand you are looking for a means to customize the css of the Jira issue collector.    There is an existing feature request for this over in JRACLOUD-29313 I would recommend watching that issue. While I don't have a timetable as to when of if something like this might be implemented, our Implementation of New Features Policy explains how our team prioritizes new features.  Given the age of this request, and the relatively low interaction, I don't think this will be a high priority change any time soon.  But watching that issue might help in case someone else finds a work-around here, it's commonly added to these kinds of tickets in order to try to help others that come across a similar problem.

If you happen to be using Jira Data Center, then you might want to check out ReVitalized Issue Collector for Jira , I haven't personally used this marketplace app, but it appears to allow for the customization of the Jira issue collector. It does not appear that they have a Jira Cloud edition of this app.

Michael DiRenzo February 13, 2024

The issue lies in the IFrame - that is generated once the issue collector popup renders.  Most content security policies will prevent access to this.  Within that IFrame are the elements with which I wish to customize - for branding. 

"The issue collector looks really boring and is not customizable to my particular brand.  Having the ability to change the two items that I describe in my original post:

• Collector Message Text - rendered error class and appears as red text"

Another issue I saw is the inability to set the LABEL of the ticket automatically like one can do with the component.  

0 votes
Jeff Tillett
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2024

The good thing about this ecosystem is that there are many ways to do the same thing. The bad thing with this flexibility is that there may not be anyone who has used your particular implementation method. 

I do not personally have much experience with issue collectors, but with the right context, I might be able to suggest a different solution. 

You might have better luck trying to detail the goal or task you are trying to accomplish, then describing what you have done, and why it is insufficient for your needs. The community might be able to help find an alternative solution. 

0 votes
Michael DiRenzo November 10, 2023

In general, how long does it take to get a response?  The question I have posed here is rather strategic for many as this can be very useful.  Moreover, I know that there is a challenge of assigning labels during issue collector if not via advanced techniques.

Michael DiRenzo December 12, 2023

It would be helpful to get a response to this issue

Michael DiRenzo December 15, 2023

Still waiting on a response.

The issue collector looks really boring and is not customizable to my particular brand.  Having the ability to change the two items that I describe in my original post:

• Collector Message Text - rendered error class and appears as red text

is really ideal.  However, these items are not available, seem to be hidden behind an iframe.  

Can the Jira techies respond to this post please?

Suggest an answer