Issue Key changed from Bitbucket to Jira migration

João Pedro Matos September 22, 2020

Hello,

I just imported a issues from a repository in bitbucket throgh the "Migrate issues to jira software" button in the repository settings, and all the issue keys changed number, from bitbucket to jira. See pic. below 

This defeats the whole purpose of our migration effort, so, can this be fixed so that the "CHAM-782" becomes "CHAM-794", and so on, for all imported issues?
(Keeping the same key nr. from Bitbucket to Jira.)

Thanks,
BB Jira Issue Key.jpg

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 29, 2020

Hi @João Pedro Matos ,

I saw on your previous question that you were considering a Cloud to Server migration. Is this still accurate? I'd like to fully understand if you're importing issues directly in Jira Server from Bitbucket Cloud, or if there's a different migration path (Bitbucket Cloud to Jira Cloud, Bitbucket Cloud to Bitbucket Server to Jira Server) in the mix.

Thanks,
Daniel

João Pedro Matos September 30, 2020

Hi @Daniel Eads thank you for having a look at this.
Im in a small product dev co. (hardware + software) and currently no proj. management tool is used, issues are scattered around bitbucket (cloud), emails and notebooks. The developers use Bitbucker (Cloud) to store their code, hardware files, and the issues are stored there too, in each repository.
We also use confluence (Server) as the company database.

The idea is to start using Confluence, Jira and Bitbucket (Server), integrated with eachother to manage the projects. I've been creating the workflows, links between the Jira, Confluence and Bitbucket etc. All softwares are installed and ready to go, Confluence has content, since we've used it before, Jira and Bitbucket (Server) are empty.

In-house there is no expert user so I've been trying to figure out by myself which is the best way to bring everything that is on BBucket cloud into the server, transfering the issues that are on those repositories into the Jira Server, so that I wouldnt have to write them all over again in Jira.

How to do it - or the best way to do it - I'm open to suggestions. Total newbie here.

[It would be great to keep the same issue number after importing (relating to the question above), but the team already said it was not critical]

P.s. we're using Bitbucket 6.1.1 and Jira 8.3.3

Thanks for your help,
Regards
JM

Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 2, 2020

Hello @João Pedro Matos , 

Allow me to step-in.

The functionality you are mentioning,  "Migrate issues to jira software", is actually migrating the issue to Jira Software Cloud, but then you say you are migrating to Jira Software Server, so I am not sure I have a complete understanding of what you are doing.

Are you actually:

1. migrating the issues to Jira Software Cloud, then export a full Jira backup and re-import it in Server
  2. migrating  the issues to Jira Software Cloud, then export the issues to CSV and then re-import them in Server
  3. Anything else?

Please let me us know

Cheers,
Dario

Like João Pedro Matos likes this
João Pedro Matos October 6, 2020

Hello @Dario B 

Number 1,

In the meantime I have migrated the issues of some BB Cloud repositories into Jira Cloud projects.

In system>backup manager> button "create backup for server" - which I think is the way to go for number 1 option, correct? - the button is not clickable.
Is it because Im not System Administrator?

Regards
JM

Dario B
Atlassian Team
October 7, 2020

I have tried to reproduce the issue on my side, but the issue number matches for me:

TBI_003.jpg  TBI_002.jpgTBI_001.jpg

Can you kindly provide more details on how you performed the import, for example:

1. Have you imported the issues in a new project or in an already existing one? 
  2. Are you importing into your Cloud Free instance or the other one (JPXXX.atlassian.net or brxxxxxxxxxxxx.atlassian.net)?
  3. Are all the issue numbers mismatching or only some ones (e.g. the first issues have the same number, then at some point they mismatch)
  4. Have you ever deleted any issue in the BitBucket Cloud repository you are exporting the issues from?

Also, as a workaround that might also save some time, you may want to try to export the issues in JSON and import them directly into Jira Server, as explained in:

Finally, I confirm that you must be site-admin in order to be able to run a backup.

Cheers,
Dario

João Pedro Matos October 7, 2020

Hi again @Dario B

That issue number mismatch happened on a repo with 800 issues. I've transfered (BB cloud to Jira cloud issues) a few issues yesterday, on repos with fewer than 20 issues, and all the numbers matched.
I'll eventually re-transfer the repo with 800 and come back to this question if it happens again,

To your questions:

1-To a new project (BB cloud, "Migrate issues" to Jira cloud, created a new project....so there is one project per repo)

2-Yes, to my free account, where I am "Org & Site Admin"

3-Replied above

4-No

I have another 20h to wait before I can backup the repo again on System -> Backup manager -> "create backup for cloud" (I tried this and it exports the JSON)
...the "create backup for server" button is un-clickable

On our Jira Server there's 3 different groups of Admins, of which I was on 2. I asked for the permit on the additional one, maybe that solves it. 

Currently in Jira Server, I go to System -> External System Import:
-If i select JSON file import, i get this 
External system import Json error.jpg

-If i select Bitbucket setup ->Grant Acess, i get this error
Jira BB import error.jpg

Regards
JM

Dario B
Atlassian Team
October 8, 2020

Let me try to recap and see if I understand everything correctly:

1. The issue numbers mismatch only happens for a specific repo with a lot of issue
  2. All other repository issues are correctly imported
  3. In your free instance you cannot click "Create backup for Server" while "Create backup for Cloud" works fine
  4. When you try to import the JSON you get the error in the provided screenshot

Now, if above points are correct, I need some more information about points 3 and 4. Specifically:

About #3:

• Can you let me know if you have any Next-Gen project in your free instance, also in the trash bin? In that case you might be impacted by one of the below bugs:
    • JRACLOUD-74558 Next-Gen Projects in Trash Prevent Backup For Server 
    • JRACLOUD-72157 Delete all next-gen projects while creating server backup not working (returns 404)
  • If you don't have any Next-Gen project in your instance, not even in the trash bin, then please attach a screenshot of what you see in the Backup Manager page.

About #4:

• Can you confirm you exported the Bitbucket issues to JSON from the repository settings and you tried to import them to Jira Server since this is not clear from your reply
  • In case you did export the Bitbucket Cloud issues to JSON and you got the error when importing back in Server, can you download the detailed log and see if there is any error in there (and in case paste it in your reply)?

Cheers,
Dario

João Pedro Matos October 8, 2020

Hi @Dario B 

Yes to 1-4 questions,

#3: I did have a next-gen project in the trash,
Deleted it permanentely, and the "Create backup for server" button is now clickable!

#4, yes to the first point.

Ill try the backup for server as #3 as it should be all it's needed, and let you know how it went - as well as the issue numbering aspect - very soon,

Regards
JM 

Like Dario B likes this
Dario B
Atlassian Team
October 8, 2020

Nice to hear you are now able to run backups for Server @João Pedro Matos ! :) 

If possible test the import first in a test Server instance.

Cheers,
Dario

João Pedro Matos November 4, 2020

Hi @Dario B ,

Pls bear with me, I havent forgotten about this. Our team is proceeding with issue tracking on BB Cloud for the specific repo I intend to migrate, since its the most important project at the moment and nobody wants risk losing the 800 issues if something goes sideways.

All other projects and repos have been transferred into the server, and we're cruising along fine working with the server versions of Jira and BB. 

I'll let you know about the migration when I can,

Cheers,
JM

Like Dario B likes this
0 votes
Michael Rippon September 24, 2020

Following. Don't have this issue yet, but haven't migrated because I'm concerned about this exact scenario happening.

Context: The project I would migrate is ironically a code analysis plugin for Jira that requires stable issue numbers to be referenced commit messages!

Edit: Also, what happens after migration when a BitBucket issue references another via #123 hash reference in the issue text?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events