Issue Filter is not showing the Epic Name

Jon Cumberworth January 8, 2019

We have multiple epics under a project and we are not able to see or filter our Issues based on Epics they are tied to.  Why are the Epic Names not showing in the Issues Filter?

All of the issues are "Child issues" and showing on the Board and can be filtered by Epic name there, but in the issue filter, the column is just blank.  

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2019

i'm guessing you are using a Next-gen project which does not support the Epic Name field yet. 

Yes it is Next Gen.  I guess we have to add a label to each issue so we can filter and sort.  Thanks

Paul Argue April 6, 2020

For those looking for how to show the epic name, the parent field can be used to show the assigned epic.

Like # people like this
Midhun Tej February 2, 2021

I'm unable to create a filter based on the epic name on next-gen. The option is there, but epics don't show up

Expecting us to use hacks doing a lot of research is not at all fair

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2021

Hi Midhun, NG doesn’t support Epic Name.

Julie Kamel February 3, 2021

Thank you @Paul Argue you solved my issue :)

Mateusz Slifirczyk March 29, 2021

Is there a plan for NG to support epic names?

Like Simon Ashby likes this
1 vote
Jaaq March 3, 2022

Go to Columns and select Parent to see Epic for each issue. 

Parent.png

Hope this helps.

0 votes
Michał Stefański January 8, 2019

Go to Columns option near Search button on filter screen section and then choose an Epic Link value from the list like on attached screen.

screen.jpg

thanks Michael -- it added another column, but still shows up as blank.  Assuming it is the issue with Next Gen,

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2019

yes it is because u r on NG.

Like # people like this
Harneet Singh March 12, 2019

After adding the Column for 'EPIC LInk' on the Issue Search, the result just shows blank column. Is this a feature in the New Gen JIRA Project? Strange because it seems to have broken a simple and very important feature of being able to view the EPIC Link in the issue search. Is there a way to change a New Gen type of project to the older one?

Like Midhun Tej likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 12, 2019

@Harneet Singh , correct that is what this thread is saying. There is an article that explains how to change from NG to Classic but I don’t have it at my fingertips. You can search the community and find other threads that will point you to it. Basically it is a ‘simple’ matter of creating a Classic project and bulk moving issues.

Like John Scott (Concord) likes this
John Scott (Concord) April 10, 2019

Any ETA for this capability in the NG projects?

Like # people like this
melisag April 12, 2019

I have the same doubt, any ETA?

Like Chris likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 12, 2019

Just coming off Summit. There was plenty of talk and focus on NG so clearly NG is a major initiative for the company. With that said, there is no public commitment to this  AFAIK. I would highly recommend using the feedback link if you have not already done so.

Like Jean-Marc Fritsch likes this
melisag April 12, 2019

In my project is not an option to go from NG to Classic (due to business decisions), thank you anyway.

Midhun Tej February 2, 2021

Disappointing - Not easy to switch between Classic and NextGen either - I wonder why is the onus on us to search for and switch! Don't understand why good features in classic were removed in next-gen

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2021

NG is a ground up development so it wasn’t removed. The relationship between Epic and its children is simply different.

Harneet Singh February 3, 2021

Having a different relationship is all fine as long as we can search the EPICs in NG, else the existence of the relationship is not really serving the purpose completely.

From development perspective it seems that the backend table for EPICs in the older version and NG are different and maybe even the DBs are different, which is why the results are independent of each other even though the column names are the same. This should've been thought of at the time of designing the NG itself, much before development was initiated.

When you upgrade any product, it is of utmost importance that the existing customers using the older versions are able to smoothly able to transition to the newer version without any adversities. If there is a feasibility issue found in doing that, it is more like moving to a totally different product than upgrading the older system, which is what you have termed the new version as 'Next Gen'.

Midhun Tej February 3, 2021
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2021

@Harneet Singh , I would suggest you provide this feedback to Atlassian via the feedback links in you instance.

Harneet Singh February 3, 2021

Thanks for your guidance Jack!

Suggest an answer