Issue D cannot start until issue B has been completed

Craig Barrett February 27, 2020

I am recreating a project plan from Excel into Jira. I am a noob with this and Confluence but really enjoying the tools so far. I have a simple question:

How do I set a relationship between Issues?

I want it to be recorded in the plan that Issue (task) D that needs to be done by me, cannot start (is dependent on) Issue B being completed by the client.

Is this where I use 'Issue Linking'? What value would I add to Issue D to show that Issue A must be completed first?

Kind regards,

Craig

1 answer

0 votes
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2020

Hello @Craig Barrett  and welcome to the community!

You can create the link two ways. You can add the link to task D and say its blocked by Issue A or you can add it to Issue A and say Blocks Task D.

I've seen this help out in planning, because it helps you see issues that are blocked by another tasks that needs to be done first. So if its blocked, you leave it in your backlog or add it to a future sprint down the line. This helps shift the focus and filters out the issues that need to be done first. 

Suggest an answer