Is there any way to reproduce the sequence order of sub-bugs within a bug in issue search?

Hector Catre August 23, 2017

As a product manager, I need to see labels when looking at a list of bugs so that I can more easily group them together when prioritizing a master backlog of bugs. 

Background
I keep a prioritized list of reported issues as sub-bugs within a master bug so that I can keep bugs seperate from stories in my backlog. When we sprint plan we move then from the master bug list to a sprint bug as sub bugs, so that, again, we can keep issues seperate from stories.

In my master bug, I have the ability to change the sequence order of sub-bugs so as to prioritize them and bring them in to sprints when appropriate. We can also estimate then in this format. 

Optimizing on the system, we also organize/detail bugs through labels which serve as keys to indicate system components, general customer impact level, general business impact value, how the issue was identified (customer suppoprt, QA team, e] other please explain), etc.

In the issue search, I can see the full details of every sub-bug in the master bug backlog by searching for "parent = <master bug key>", but there appears to be no way to sort by sequence in the current search. 

When I look at the master bug, I can see all of the sub-bugs in sequenced order, but can't see labels in this view. 

Help. 

1 answer

0 votes
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2017

Hi Hector

To your parent = <master bug key> you could add order by rank ASC (or DESC)  or any other way of sorting.

If your sub-bugs within the master are dragged and dropped to sort, that should be ranking, so the above query should work

Hi Warren, 

I've tried sorting by rank. 

It appears that sequence order of sub-bugs do not change the value of rank. Rank appears to only be changed when NOT a sub-bug, sub-defect, or sub-task. Sequence appears to be a different value alltogether. 

For me to utilize rank, it appears I need to pull them out from a bug by making sub-bugs a bug, then re-moving them back as sub-bugs, every time I want to prioritize. Not optimal. 

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2017

Try looking at this really old article - there may be something of value to help you https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-questions/Order-of-Subtasks-within-a-Parent-Task/qaq-p/366231

I've been using the jira-subtask-sortable Chrome extension which is fantastic.

I'll check out the javascript version as there might be something there. Thank you.

read through the link and all of the links from that link. Still no noted solution ... 

Suggest an answer