Is there any option in jira where we can find iterations of issue types?

Pooja October 4, 2019

Especially for issue types bugs, how can we know the open, reopen iterations of bugs in numbers?

3 answers

1 vote
Todd Winton October 4, 2019

We use a field to store the number of times entering a status and added to the workflow a post function that increments that field.

0 votes
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2019

JQL returns a list of issues. It doesn't return a number based on conditions in the issue.

If you want to track "iterations" then make a custom field called "iterations" as a number field, and then add a post function in every transition that should increase the iterations to increment it by 1.

You will need a addon for that post function, as native jira doesnt have the ability to do a calculation to a field. 

Actually, finding a Addon to increment by 1 isn't as easy as it sounds. PowerScripts or Scriptrunner cold do it. There may be others.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2019

Hi Pooja,

If I understand you correctly, you should be able to write a JQL that will show the issues that have had a status change (even for a particular time period). SOmething like:

issuetype = Bug AND Status changed TO "Reopen" DURING (2019-09-01, 2019-09-30)

If you don't want the time period, simply drop the part starting with DURING

I hope that helps!

Pooja October 4, 2019

How will it count the numbers?

for example,

a bug got reopened four times so I m expecting numbers of reopened iterations for that bug.

like,

Bug A= reopened iterations=4

something like that...

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2019

It's not going to be able to do that directly. You might try this: 

issuetype = Bug AND Status changed FROM Open TO "Reopen" DURING (2019-09-01, 2019-09-30)

and then run again for:

issuetype = Bug AND Status changed FROM Reopen TO "Open" DURING (2019-09-01, 2019-09-30)

Pooja October 4, 2019

Ok Thanks, i will try.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2019

You can also use a gadget on a dashboard to do a count for you for the rows returned from each filter. 

Suggest an answer