Is there an email to send issues to for my JIRA account?

tone.nunes@communitybrands.com February 5, 2019

Some folks do not have a JIRA account but can they submit a bug with an email account?

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2019

Hang on a second. You can set up an incoming email handler that will create an issue in the project of your choice. The only caveat is that you will need to use an actual user account as the default user. So anyone or any application sending an email to the email you set up will create an issue with the default user as the reporter. We do this today for many application where the user of the application can report an issue with the application.

you can do this by going to Jira settings > system > incoming mail

maybe I’m missing your goal here?

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2019

Hi @Jack Brickey

Sure, we can do it this way. Thank you for pointing this out.

I just thought that the phrase "submit a bug with an email account" means the possibility to create an issue the way a registered user would do it and to receive the information about what happens with the issue afterward. Without it, all the process seems kind of deficient. Of course, we can automatically create internal users from email as described here, for example:

Creating issues and comments from email

But that will require additional licenses.

tone.nunes@communitybrands.com would that suit your needs?

@Jack Brickey, please, correct me if I'm wrong somewhere.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2019

Correct. It really depends on what tone.nunes@communitybrands.com ultimately is looking for.

Like Grigory Salnikov likes this
Deleted user February 6, 2019

Thanks @Jack Brickey,

Learnt something new today. Never thought of setting up a separate email that users can send email to and Jira creates issues from each email received. 

:) 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2019

i learn something new every day. that is what make the Community fun. ;-)

Like # people like this
Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2019

@[deleted]

By the way, you may want to mark @Jack Brickey's answer as "Accepted" so that other people with the same or a similar question would find it easily.

Have a nice day!

Deleted user February 7, 2019

Hi @Grigory Salnikov,

It is not my question.

I agree that @Jack Brickey's answer fulfils tone.nunes@communitybrands.com's requirements, though it should not be me to accept an answer on another's behalf. 

Have a nice day Grigory 

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2019

Hi @[deleted]

Of course, it's not your question, my bad.

I think I just need more sleep...

1 vote
Deleted user February 5, 2019

Hi tone.nunes@communitybrands.com,

Jira Service Desk has this built in functionality for unlicensed users, unfortunately as far I am aware Jira Software does not.

Documentation for setting up an email to issue creation, however only from licensed users.

Hope this helps

0 votes
tone.nunes@communitybrands.com February 7, 2019

Thank you so much, everyone! I appreciate it and it is very helpful!

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2019
0 votes
Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2019

Yes, tone.nunes@communitybrands.com as @[deleted] has already said, Jira Software seems not to have this option. In this article:

Creating issues and comments from email

the second sentence goes like this:

JIRA can receive emails from licensed users to create issues or add comments and attachments to existing issues automatically.

Suggest an answer