Is there an alternative to burningcode's now defunct Jira Watchers Custom Field plugin?

Ken Wood
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2021

I searched, if answer is there I missed it. I followed the tag for the plugin, it the answer is there I missed it.

Is there an alternative to burningcode's now defunct Jira Watcher Custom Field plugin?

10 answers

2 votes
John Stoffel September 8, 2021

I'm in the same boat, and wondering the same thing.  It's been working with version 8.5.x for a while, but I need to upgrade to 8.13.10 now.  

Ken, are you running Jira v8.13.x and is the plugin still working for you there?

John Stoffel September 28, 2021

We bit the bullet and upgraded anyway, and it's working. At least as far as I can tell. 

Like Dave Liao likes this
David Mahoney November 4, 2021

When we upgraded to 8.13 in 2021Q1, it was still on the supported list.  I would have noticed otherwise.  I just discovered it was dropped 10 minutes ago when I was trying to find a link to docs for a user!

John Stoffel November 4, 2021

Blech.  I just upgraded to 8.13.13 this morning... didn't notice anything.  I suspect it will have to be disabled for the next big upgrade process.  

Darren Monahan January 30, 2022

It definitely breaks in 8.21.1.

Like John Stoffel likes this
Pam Weber January 31, 2022

Thanks for providing that info on 8.21.1, Darren.  We'll be going to 8.20.5 (LTS) shortly and will watch to see if this breaks in that release as well.

Like John Stoffel likes this
John Stoffel January 31, 2022

How bad is the breakage?  I guess we will be moving to something newer when we get a chance, but honestly, this is a slowly dying instance so it might just move to the cloud at some point.  Maybe.  I just admin the system, not the Jira info itself.  

John Stoffel February 10, 2022

So I haven't a clue how this plugin works, can someone explain to me how I would check if it's even being used or setup in Jira?  Assume I know nothing of Jira, but I do know Linux/Postgres/Apache, etc.  So even though I have it enabled, it's not clear if it's actually in use. 

Otherwise I guess I'll clone to a test instance, disable it and see what breaks, but I haven't a clue how to test it.  

Or what to replace it with if it does break and my users say they need it.  

Fun......

Derek White February 21, 2022

@John StoffelIt adds a custom field. You should be able to go to Administration > Custom fields and find the field by type. If you find some, you can track back via their screens to project etc. and find where they are used.

John Stoffel February 22, 2022

Thanks for the hints.  Looking at my setup, it looks like the darn thing isn't even used.  Heh.  And nothing has broken according to my users in the test instance I setup for them which was a clone of production.

I apprecaite all the help people have given me here. 

K M April 29, 2022

The plugin broke after upgrading to 8.22.2 as well and now I am not really sure if there is any replacement for it?

Michael Thompson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2022

We just upgraded our test environment from 8.20.1 (still works) to 8.22.2, and it is broken.

Effects:

• Cannot re-index Jira
  • All dashboards fail
  • All filters fail

Those were the ones I noticed, but it's more than enough to stop us from upgrading production. We rely heavily on watchers and the similarly failing Jira Component Watchers app, and now we are stuck.

I will not that if I disable the two apps I can still add/remove watchers from existing issues, but I cannot add them to new issues.

K M May 12, 2022

I somehow managed to fix the plugins by decompiling them and fixing the broken constructor. The actual issue has been already reported - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-73747

Like # people like this
Matt Van Kuyk May 16, 2022

Hi @K M ,

could you share the "fixed version you created" OR the steps to do it ourself?

thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Matt

Like Sami Ahmed Shaik likes this
K M May 16, 2022

@Matt Van Kuyksure, but which plugin? `jira-component-watcher` or `jira-watcher-field`?

Jira-watcher-field

K M May 16, 2022

Which version? And how can I contact you? (any email?)

version 2.8.1. You can contact me on _.

K M May 16, 2022

Oh.. I only fixed versions 2.8.3 and 2.8.5. Not sure how compatible they are with 2.8.1

2.8.5 is perfect .

K M May 16, 2022

I will try to send it to you later this week - if I don't (I will be at a conference) please remind me about it.

Thank you for that, I see the app itself not available anymore on the Marketplace... 

K M May 16, 2022

Yeah, unfortunately I couldn't find anything, neither bitbucket repository nor the addon on marketplace.

But I will wait until you get back to me. Looking forward to it :-D

K M May 23, 2022

hey @Matt Van Kuyk your email is not visible anymore in one of your replies :P

Matt Van Kuyk May 24, 2022

Hi  @K M ,

it is [].  

Kind regards,

Matt

K M May 24, 2022

Great!

Feijian May 29, 2022

@KM or Matt could you please send me the copy of the plugin as well ?

Matis Aas May 30, 2022

@Matt Van Kuyk 

Hi Matt, how can I contact you? Would you mind sharing the fixed version of Jira Watcher Field with me too?

Arty Kov June 20, 2022

@Matt Van Kuyk @K M  Hi, would you mind sharing the fixed version of Jira Watcher Field v. 2.8.5 with me plaese? artemspecspec@gmail.com

James Smith July 11, 2022

Hi @Matt Van Kuyk I think your email must be being removed by a bot or something.

Is there any chance you could post some instructions on how to do this for us please.

Many thanks

James

Like Andrejs Kostenko likes this
Matis Aas July 13, 2022

Can anyone figure this out? Maybe Atlassian knows how to get past this issue? 
Would really appreciate a solution to this...

Regards,
Matis

OTV Backend OTV Backend July 22, 2022

Hi. Could you please send me the 2.8.5 fixed Version?

Diego Cañete September 13, 2022

Hi everyone,
We migrated from 7.0.1 to 9.1.x and this plugin was very useful, I couldn't contact the developer and we don't see it available anymore.

I have tried to decompile it and fix the error, but with no luck.

I see that someone can fix it, could you please share it?

Or send it by mail? or a Drive?
Thank you so much.

Like Sonya S_ likes this
David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 6, 2022

@K M Would you mind sharing your patch? I've been keeping a clone of the original source here but unfortunately it's a pretty old version (not 2.8.5)

My story: I didn't want to setup the whole plugin development environment. I attempted a decompile and added "ComponentAccessor.getComponent(FeatureManager.class)" to WatcherFieldType.java

import com.atlassian.jira.config.FeatureManager;
super(customFieldValuePersister,
genericConfigManager, multiUserConverter, applicationProperties, authenticationContext,
searchService, fieldVisibilityManager, jiraBaseUrls, userBeanFactory, groupManager,
projectRoleManager, soyTemplateRendererProvider, userFilterManager,
fieldConfigSchemeManager, projectManager,
ComponentAccessor.getComponent(FeatureManager.class));

Threw that file into "external-src" and ran ant to compile (also had to throw a few files into the /lib sub-folder")

Was getting NoClassFoundExceptions so had to hack the manifest.MF file with: com.atlassian.jira.config;resolution:=optional

Re-packaged it all up and it's "working" I guess in Jira 9.3.0

Sonya S_ November 4, 2022

Hello, 
Can I have a copy of fixed version of Component watcher and water field, too? 

we upgraded to 9.3 and have same issue.

still have below errors during re-index after uninstall those 2 add-ons. 

Caused by: io.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: io.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'com.burningcode.jira.issue.customfields.impl.WatcherFieldType': Bean instantiation via constructor failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Failed to instantiate [com.burningcode.jira.issue.customfields.impl.WatcherFieldType]: Constructor threw exception; nested exception is java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: 'void com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.impl.MultiUserCFType.<init>

thanks in advance,

Sonya

Gaël NEUEZ November 23, 2022

Hello @Matt Van Kuyk 

following this thread as we're also stuck at 8.20.x version as we use the Watcher field plugin; would also be interested to get your fixed version for testing, if possible.

Regards

Andrejs Kostenko November 29, 2022

@Gaël NEUEZ , @Matt Van Kuyk , @Sonya S_ , @David Yu , @K M  colegues, anybody is successful with jira watchers filed and component watchers in latest jira server version?

Gaël NEUEZ November 30, 2022

No, following thread comments, I understand that @K M  managed to create a fixed version, it would be great if we could get access to jar or source code...

Regards

David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2022

I patched a copy (2.5.8.1) of the watchers plugin but it's use/test at your own risk.

Like Gaven Ray likes this
Gaven Ray November 30, 2022

Thank you so much David I put this on a 9.4.0 test box.

Diego Cañete November 30, 2022

Hi David, thank you. 

but I did test and it not working yet.

the error messages is:

Unknown Reason

The requested method GET is not allowed for this URL.

David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2022

You've got to manually download and upload the plugin.

Diego Cañete November 30, 2022

Hi David,

It was what I did, download the update and install it before trying it.
The installation works and raises the instance well. But when trying it gives the error.

David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2022

Hi Deigo, I see what you mean, the configuration menu is erroring out with a 405 method not allowed error.

After some research, this is due to changes in Jira 9, in particular Verification of Jira web action request methods

I've added the necessary annotations to the WatcherFieldSettings.class and recompiled:

@SupportedMethods({RequestMethod.GET, RequestMethod.POST})

Unfortunately, it's still giving out a 405 error and I'm stumped.  It works if you add the DarkSiteFlag feature but that is not recommended

jira.webactions.request.method.recognition.disabled

Maybe someone else more knowledgeable can answer/help. For now, I'll pull the download link offline.

Update: I fixed the problem and uploaded 2.8.5.2 for testing.

Diego Cañete December 1, 2022

Hi David,   thank y for you time and dedication.

where you put the link for test?

I will test..

Hi David,
It seems to me that I am in error, I was looking for the "Jira Component Whatchers" and you are trying to repair the "Field Whatchers".

They are two different plugins and I think both stopped working after the migration to Jira 9.x.

Exactly, I was testing it and I realized the error, that's why when I went to see the components the access didn't appear in the menu.

Sorry for me error.

David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 2, 2022

Ahhh, Component Watchers. Maybe if time permits, I will also patch that.

Diego Cañete December 4, 2022

Hi David, 

that would be great.......

David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 6, 2022

I patched Component Watchers. You can examine the commits to see the patches. Use/test at your own risk, no support given, yada yada yada. 🎅

Like r likes this
Vlatko Bojkovski April 10, 2023

Hi Team,

Any chance to send the jira-watcher plugin with fix?

We are using 9.7.0

Thanks and KR,

Vlatko

Vlatko Bojkovski April 11, 2023

Hi,

Just to update,

We have downloaded the 2.8.5.2 version of the Watcher Plugin from here:

https://bitbucket.org/superoni/jira-watcher-field-plugin/downloads/

Installed it on 9.7.0 and it works as expected.

Big thanks to @David Yu !!

KR,

Vlatko

Like # people like this
Jason Michaud April 27, 2023

Thanks @Vlatko Bojkovski  and @David Yu 

We are going to try this with Jira Server v9.4.5.

Just wondering if anyone is on Jira DataCenter and having issues? Or would it even matter? We are in the process of migrating to DataCenter.

Thank you for your expertise

Jason

Vlatko Bojkovski April 28, 2023

Hi @Jason Michaud ,

So far, so good on 9.7.1.

KR,

Vlatko

Like Patrick likes this
Patrick December 4, 2023

Looks good on 9.12 LTS :)

Like # people like this
1 vote
Jyoti Verma June 26, 2023

Hi 

This is causing issues for me in 9.4.7 - I have downloaded Version:

Please suggest if anyone has any clue - my issues are not opening JIRA Watcher Field Plugin is enabled - 
Caused by: io.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'com.burningcode.jira.issue.customfields.impl.WatcherFieldType': Bean instantiation via constructor failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Failed to instantiate [com.burningcode.jira.issue.customfields.impl.WatcherFieldType]: Constructor threw exception; nested exception is java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: 'void com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.impl.MultiUserCFType.<init>(com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.persistence.CustomFieldValuePersister, com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.manager.GenericConfigManager, com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.converters.MultiUserConverter, com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.ApplicationProperties, com.atlassian.jira.security.JiraAuthenticationContext, com.atlassian.jira.bc.user.search.UserSearchService, com.atlassian.jira.web.FieldVisibilityManager, com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.rest.json.beans.JiraBaseUrls, com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.rest.json.UserBeanFactory, com.atlassian.jira.security.groups.GroupManager, com.atlassian.jira.security.roles.ProjectRoleManager, com.atlassian.jira.template.soy.SoyTemplateRendererProvider, com.atlassian.jira.user.UserFilterManager, com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.config.manager.FieldConfigSchemeManager, com.atlassian.jira.project.ProjectManager)'
Jyoti Verma June 27, 2023

Hi @David Yu 

I downloaded 2.8.5.2 from https://bitbucket.org/superoni/jira-watcher-field-plugin/downloads/ - it worked for me on 9.4.7 perfectly.

Thanks a lot 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Sami Ahmed Shaik December 2, 2022

@David Yu 

Could you please share with us fixed version of "Jira Watcher Field" compatible with v8.22.x ?

Unfortunately, this add-on is causing chaos in our upgraded test instance.

Regards,

Sami S.

David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 2, 2022

@Sami Ahmed Shaik what version are you currently using?

@David Yu  Thanks for the response,

We are currently using Jira Server v8.22.6 & Jira Watcher Field v2.8.5

Regards,

Sami S.

David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 2, 2022

Sami, you are welcome to test my patched 2.8.5.2 version against 8.22.6 at your own risk.

@David Yu 

Thanks for the patched file, I uninstall and re-install with the patched file, got the following error

JWF-Patched-Error.PNG

Regards,

Sami S.

David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 2, 2022

Sami, not sure what the problem could be. I tested locally on new 8.22.6 install and it worked for me.

2022-12-02_16-21.jpg

@David Yu 

Let me try by clearing the cache from the Plugin folders and will share the results.

Regards,

Sami S.

@David Yu 

Same error even after clearing the plugin cache. Any other solution you could recommend us?

Regards,

Sami S.

0 votes
Andrejs Kostenko November 29, 2022

Anybody can help with that issue?
I'm at version jira server 8.20.4. Need upgrade it until latest version. But no success with JIRA Watchers field and Watchers Component, Alo I use Security level that has custom watchiers field.

How is possible to upgrade jira server from 8.20.4 till latest version and watchers field and component watchers able to work?

could somebody share the the "fix" OR the give a steps to do it ourself?

thank you in advance.

0 votes
Paul Clark _Redmoon Software_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 14, 2022

Hi, if anyone is still looking I have an App called Watch It that allows you to watch components in a project and to add watchers during issue creation.  It is available on Jira server, data center and cloud. 

You can check it out at: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1213851/watch-it-for-jira

Regards

Paul

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2023

Any plans around 9.4 version ?

0 votes
Sonya S_ November 4, 2022

additional question, does anyone knows where "Component watcher" stored in database? 

appreciate, 

Sonya

0 votes
Andrea Hakim October 21, 2022

This is a post-function scriptrunner script that works if you have a static user to add as a watcher.  Place script after the "Creates the issue originally" post function on the create transition.

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor

import com.atlassian.jira.issue.watchers.WatcherManager

import com.atlassian.jira.user.ApplicationUser

import com.atlassian.jira.user.util.UserManager

def watcherManager = ComponentAccessor.getWatcherManager()

def userManager = ComponentAccessor.getUserManager()

def user = userManager.getUserByName("ComplianceSolutions@covius.com") as ApplicationUser

log.info("User"+user.toString())

log.info "Issue"+issue.toString()

watcherManager.startWatching(user, issue)

David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 21, 2022

This would be the ideal solution except for cases where Issue Security Levels is being used with watchers. In that case, you'd want watchers to sync with that field when changes are made. I guess there would need to be a global Script Listener that updates the user field with changes to watchers.

0 votes
ChristopherChilds August 30, 2022

Has anyone been able to test this against Version yet?

Matis Aas August 30, 2022

It wont magically start working on newer versions, the changes were made by Atlassian development team and it's very unlikely they are going to revert to an old constructor.

Diego Cañete September 13, 2022

Hi Matis,

If I understand correctly, you say that the version
is jiracomponentwatcher 2.4 working fine on Jira Sever 9.1?

Matis Aas September 14, 2022

Hi Diego,

No, the opposite, it should not work on any newer Jira versions..

0 votes
Harald Pfitzner August 11, 2022

Is it possible to get the fixed version 2.8.5 as 2.8.6 over Atlassian Universal Plugin Manager?
When not, please send me also the fixed 2.8.5.

Regards Harald

0 votes
Pam Weber April 29, 2022

We moved to 8.20.6 (LTS) and it did not break there.  Looking at all the other comments, it appears to first break on 8:21.

Suggest an answer