Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Is there an alternative to burningcode's now defunct Jira Watchers Custom Field plugin?

I searched, if answer is there I missed it. I followed the tag for the plugin, it the answer is there I missed it.

Is there an alternative to burningcode's now defunct Jira Watcher Custom Field plugin?

2 answers

I'm in the same boat, and wondering the same thing.  It's been working with version 8.5.x for a while, but I need to upgrade to 8.13.10 now.  

Ken, are you running Jira v8.13.x and is the plugin still working for you there?

We bit the bullet and upgraded anyway, and it's working. At least as far as I can tell. 

Like Dave Liao likes this

When we upgraded to 8.13 in 2021Q1, it was still on the supported list.  I would have noticed otherwise.  I just discovered it was dropped 10 minutes ago when I was trying to find a link to docs for a user!

Blech.  I just upgraded to 8.13.13 this morning... didn't notice anything.  I suspect it will have to be disabled for the next big upgrade process.  

It definitely breaks in 8.21.1.

Like John Stoffel likes this

Thanks for providing that info on 8.21.1, Darren.  We'll be going to 8.20.5 (LTS) shortly and will watch to see if this breaks in that release as well.

Like John Stoffel likes this

How bad is the breakage?  I guess we will be moving to something newer when we get a chance, but honestly, this is a slowly dying instance so it might just move to the cloud at some point.  Maybe.  I just admin the system, not the Jira info itself.  

So I haven't a clue how this plugin works, can someone explain to me how I would check if it's even being used or setup in Jira?  Assume I know nothing of Jira, but I do know Linux/Postgres/Apache, etc.  So even though I have it enabled, it's not clear if it's actually in use. 

Otherwise I guess I'll clone to a test instance, disable it and see what breaks, but I haven't a clue how to test it.  

Or what to replace it with if it does break and my users say they need it.  

Fun......

@John StoffelIt adds a custom field. You should be able to go to Administration > Custom fields and find the field by type. If you find some, you can track back via their screens to project etc. and find where they are used.

Thanks for the hints.  Looking at my setup, it looks like the darn thing isn't even used.  Heh.  And nothing has broken according to my users in the test instance I setup for them which was a clone of production.

I apprecaite all the help people have given me here. 

The plugin broke after upgrading to 8.22.2 as well and now I am not really sure if there is any replacement for it?

We just upgraded our test environment from 8.20.1 (still works) to 8.22.2, and it is broken.

Effects:

• Cannot re-index Jira
  • All dashboards fail
  • All filters fail

Those were the ones I noticed, but it's more than enough to stop us from upgrading production. We rely heavily on watchers and the similarly failing Jira Component Watchers app, and now we are stuck.

I will not that if I disable the two apps I can still add/remove watchers from existing issues, but I cannot add them to new issues.

I somehow managed to fix the plugins by decompiling them and fixing the broken constructor. The actual issue has been already reported - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-73747

Like Dave Liao likes this

Hi @K M ,

could you share the "fixed version you created" OR the steps to do it ourself?

thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Matt

@Matt Van Kuyksure, but which plugin? `jira-component-watcher` or `jira-watcher-field`?

Jira-watcher-field

Which version? And how can I contact you? (any email?)

version 2.8.1. You can contact me on _.

Oh.. I only fixed versions 2.8.3 and 2.8.5. Not sure how compatible they are with 2.8.1

2.8.5 is perfect .

I will try to send it to you later this week - if I don't (I will be at a conference) please remind me about it.

Thank you for that, I see the app itself not available anymore on the Marketplace... 

Yeah, unfortunately I couldn't find anything, neither bitbucket repository nor the addon on marketplace.

But I will wait until you get back to me. Looking forward to it :-D

hey @Matt Van Kuyk your email is not visible anymore in one of your replies :P

Hi  @K M ,

it is [].  

Kind regards,

Matt

@KM or Matt could you please send me the copy of the plugin as well ?

@Matt Van Kuyk 

Hi Matt, how can I contact you? Would you mind sharing the fixed version of Jira Watcher Field with me too?

@Matt Van Kuyk @K M  Hi, would you mind sharing the fixed version of Jira Watcher Field v. 2.8.5 with me plaese? artemspecspec@gmail.com

We moved to 8.20.6 (LTS) and it did not break there.  Looking at all the other comments, it appears to first break on 8:21.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...

14,477 views 37 44
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you