Is there a way to sort issues in a column by the amount of time they have spent on the board?

Timothy Thornburg December 7, 2022

I see there is an indicator to have the time spent on the board on the issue in Jira. The ticket displays little dots at the bottom of the screen and then I can hover over the ticket and see the amount of days its been in progress. Is there a way to sort these tickets/issues from top to bottom in their respective columns so that I can prioritize the ones that have been sitting the longest first? 

2 answers

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2022

Hi @Timothy Thornburg -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What problem are you trying to solve by doing this?

I ask that question, as what you describe seems to be a symptom of other possible causes...such as:

• the amount of work in progress (WIP) is high and the board is getting "cluttered",
  • things get "stuck"/blocked and those challenges are not getting addressed before starting more work items,
  • the most important work (probably on the right-side of the board before "done") is not being focused upon,
  • the amount of unplanned work is displacing planned work,
  • etc.

Changing the board order as you describe can have unintended consequences, such as hiding the original priority ordering (i.e. Rank), and so considering the root problem may reveal other solutions to experiment with.

Thanks, and kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
Frederik December 7, 2022

Hi,

This is a classic question. 

- The easiest way to get there is find an app (most will be paying apps I think) like "Time in Status" or EazyBI for Jira

- There are some gadgets when you create a dashboard you can play with like "average time in status"

You can play with JQL queries in search like 

issuetype = Story AND NOT status CHANGED AFTER -30d AND status="In Progress"  

For a board ... Maybe a quick filter with a query like the above can help to show only the items that are in progress and didn't change status in the last month

Suggest an answer