Is there a way to set issue permissions based on Label in a project?

Jared McNeil May 11, 2023

Hi I'm trying to assess whether you're able to assign issue security to an issue based upon a label. 

For example:
If Label = "x" then the issue is read only

or if Label = "y" then the issue is private and only visible to project admins

Thanks for the help.

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2023

Hello @Jared McNeil 

You should be able to do that with an Automation Rule. You could trigger the rule upon issue creation or on change to the Labels field. Then use Condition/ If-Else steps to evaluate the Labels field and set the Security Level.

Note that the Actor of the rule would have to be a member of each Security Level that could be assigned. 

Jared McNeil May 11, 2023

Thanks Trudy, for this response, this worked for me!

4 votes
Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2023

Hi @Jared McNeil ,

Certainly is! Automation is a truly amazing feature. The trick here is using smart values to check the change to the label field. Admittedly, I have not test this yet, but the following should work:

Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-11 um 17.09.27.png

Of course, you'll need to create the required Security Levels for your project, so that you can set them; Jira does not ship with a default setting.

Hope that helps,
 Oliver

Suggest an answer