Is there a way to set a default value for html renderer fields in a kanban board type?

Bruno Teles January 12, 2022

I would like to add a default description in issue fields (Bugs, User Stories, ...) in a Kanban project (company managed) but I am not being able to find where I can do this under Project Settings.

Just as a comparison, when you create a SCRUM project, you can go to Project Settings > Issue Types and then select any issue type (e.g. Bug), and set a default value for a Description field. I just want to be able to do the same for a Kanban project.

Is this feature available and where can I perform this action?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2022

Hi @Bruno Teles -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I do not believe that is possible yet with company-managed projects, as you describe.

The Scrum project you note appears to be a team-managed project, and those allow setting default values at a project-level.  Can you confirm if your Scrum project was team-managed?

There are work-arounds for company-managed projects to get defaults, but often a marketplace addon is needed for project-level default values/templates.

Kind regards,
Bill

Bruno Teles January 13, 2022

Thank you, @Bill Sheboy

Yes, my other project is a team-managed SCRUM project. 

I could migrate from company-managed to team-managed teams, but I don't want to do that since it means I would be be losing data and config according to this reference.

Do you know any specific free marketplace addons that could do this specific task (in Jira Cloud)? I could find a couple of paid addons only.

Best regards,

Bruno.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2022

Hi, Bruno.

Sorry, I do not know any free addons for this.  And, I suggest searching in the marketplace as you may find one.

A built-in work around is to use an automation rule to create a "default" value.  One challenge with this approach is it makes issue creation a two-step thing:

• create the issue, and the automation rule will fire to add the default *after* the issue exists
  • then you edit the issue to see the default and update, as needed

Kind regards,
Bill

Bruno Teles January 13, 2022

Thank you, Bill! I will try to look for this addon then.

I tried exactly the same thing you mentioned before! I created this automation rule but I was afraid that would annoy some people, since it is not a great experience to find out later that the content you wrote was overwritten by the default value on event creation.

all the best,

Bruno.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2022

I agree the user experience is not great for that approach, and...

The fix to prevent clearing the field in an automation rule is to edit the description field like this:

{{issue.description}}

Here is my template for the field.
Data to enter: TODO
More data to enter: TODO

This will add the template information after what was already entered.

Bruno Teles January 14, 2022

Well, I think that solves my problem then! Thank you so much for this!

Two things about this approach:

- If we include a text and image before the issue creation, the default text from the Automation Rule disappears. If we include only text, it works.

- It would be great if we could include HTML renderer content as the default text in the Automation Rule. ATM, it is only possible to include plain text.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 18, 2022

That matches my experience; there are still some issues with automation and which markup can/cannot be used for text fields.

Like Bruno Teles likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events