Is there a way to pull MS Planner Tasks into Jira Projects?

Cloud Control Limited
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 24, 2020

Hello,

We've migrated from Trello to MS Planner, because, well, it's included as part of Office 365 and fully integrated with Outlook and OneDrive, as well as administered with Azure AD. We liked Trello but we had to make that move.

What we want to do now is use MS Planner as our Kanban board where we put ideas and tasks more informally, but then be able to pull the Task name, Due Date, Start Date, Priority, Progress, Comments, Attachments, Checklist, etc etc all over into a Jira Issue... click a button "Move to Jira Issue"... select the Issue Type (this way we can define the MS Planner task as a bug, or a task, etc)... and then be off and running with Jira driving the issue to resolution. We would then want to be able to drag the tasks around the Jira Kanban in order to be able to see and keep track of the state/status of each task and have the increased power and flexibility that Jira offers to manage the project from that point... but while still updating the MS Planner task... two-way sync between Planner tasks and Jira Issues.

We might let almost anyone in the company post to the MS Planner Kanban to get ideas up there and discussed, but once it is imported or "sucked in" to the Jira Kanban, it's now serious, funded, and time for the focused team [only] to get things done.

We basically want to use MS Planner for the "napkin" and Jira for the "blueprint and construction checklist".

Is this possible?

Thanks,

CC

4 answers

4 votes
George Tsaousidis
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 31, 2021

Is there anything vice-versa? i.e. pushing out a JIRA item to MS Teams Planner?

Thomas Burke February 9, 2023

Yes, that is my particular use case George.

I was going to try with PowerShell modules Jira is stable and I can only assume MS would be ,  but if there was a tool to install, easier.

3 votes
Palaniswamy, Dhananjayan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 7, 2023

Well, it's an old thread and it's probably a long shot. But, I'm wondering if anyone manage to success with this? :)

László Bartha
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 14, 2023

I have the very same question. Any feedback or update from the original thread would be appreciated! :)

Like # people like this
1 vote
Brian Hill June 1, 2021

First place I'd start looking at is Exalate for IssueSync: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1213645/exalate-jira-issue-sync-more?hosting=cloud&tab=overview noting it has Azure DevOps hooks, but would want to dig a little deeper into MS Planner compatibility.

Shashi Annasagaram
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 22, 2021

Hi Brian, Did you get any breakthrough in your research I have a similar ask from my business teams... Any help would be appreciated! - Thank you.

Like Jonathon Benson likes this
Thomas Burke February 9, 2023

wrong thread  :) 

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2020

Hi @Cloud Control Limited  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

As of now, there does not appear to be anything in the marketplace pre-built for Jira Cloud and Microsoft Planner connection. I recommend also searching yourself because your team will have a better understanding of what you want/need: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/

If you can get a webhook from Planner to push out information, you can use Jira Automation rules to consume the data to create issues.  This is one way people connect to other external apps.  Here is some information on automation rules to get you started:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/automate-your-jira-cloud-processes-and-workflows/

Best regards,

Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events