Is there a way to make a field read-only in a transition screen?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2023

I would like to require a transitioner to update field PR Move Req Date in a transition, but there isn't a way in Jira software to clear the field before the user sees the screen,

I thought of a workaround: creating a text field named "Please update the PR Move Req Date.", but is there a way to display it read-only; otherwise, it looks like this:

Text field in a screen

Text field in a screen.jpg

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2023

You could use this type of custom field

Screen Shot 2023-05-24 at 3.51.41 PM.png

Define the Context for the field to set a default value, add the field to your transition screen, and the text you added for the default value in the field Context will display in the transition screen.

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2023

Thank you.  I think this solution in combination with Kelly's suggested use of a "Field has been modified" validator would be ideal. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 30, 2023

Hi @Phil Bustin

Another approach would be to add a "Field Required" or "Field has been modified" validator to the transition, and include a message that would be displayed if the user doesn't enter/change the value.

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 30, 2023

Thank you.  I didn't know about this kind of validator.  I will try it, in combination with Trudy's message field suggestion.

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 30, 2023

You might want to try the validator first - you may decide that you don't need a message custom field after all.

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 30, 2023

True, but: The reason I want to use the message custom field right from the outset in addition to the validator, is that in my experience with the same transition in SBM (the app we're replacing with Jira Software), the users (Business Analysts and Developers) usually forget that they need to update the date field.  A friendly reminder above the field would be kinder, and endear them more to the workflow admin, than a surprise message after they've already filled in fields and clicked the transition button.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events