Is there a way to grant "View Only" permission for Comments (not add or edit) on Jira issues?

Katherine Lisman May 17, 2021

Currently, there is no permission available to only "View" Comments. It appears you have to be given Create or Edit permissions to view the comments. 

1. Is there a way around this?
  2. Is there an existing Jira support ticket with Atlassian to add a "View" only permission on comments? If so, can someone provide the URL so I can go vote on it?

Thanks so much!

Comment-Permissions.png

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2021

@Katherine Lisman If you use the Browse Issues permission, then you will be able to see the issues in a project including it's comments by extension. Only by then adding users/roles to the Add Comments permission will they be able to add them.

If however a comment has been restricted (e.g. restricted to a particular project role only) then users will need to be assigned to this project role, as well as fall under the Browse Issues permission (usually via a project role)

Katherine Lisman May 17, 2021

Thank you, @Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_ ! That makes sense, and I was able to verify that is, indeed, the case. 

Thanks so much for your quick response!! 

Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2021

No worries, glad I could help! :)

Like Katherine Lisman likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders