Is there a way to display both target start/target end AND start date/end date in Advanced Roadmap?

Ramon Yll Prous July 13, 2020

We are currently mapping start and end dates in our advanced roadmap and we would also like to start displaying the target start and end dates in there.

Specifically, we plan to use the target start and end fields to schedule our work months in advance. Then we would like to be able to compare the target start and end fields against our actual start and end dates.

Can this be done? 

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 21, 2020

Hello @Ramon Yll Prous ,

In Advanced Roadmaps and the improved interface, we're simplified the timeline so that it is only using one type of date, the target dates. You can still use other custom date fields like Start date and due date that you already configured before enabling the interface, but you'll first need to add these custom fields to your plan.

To se this up the details are covered in the "Scheduling issues" section of the "Changes in the improved interface" giving some additional context:

For a custom date to be available, make sure the custom date field is added to the schemes of all the projects associated with the issue sources of the plan. Once selected, the custom dates will be displayed with the date lozenge ().

And some more details on this can also be seen in the "Scheduling issues" documentation under the "Additional notes" section:

Additional notes

How target dates work

Both target start and target end dates are handled consistently across Jira Software and Advanced Roadmaps, and the date values are independent from local timezone settings. This means Alana from Australia and Will from the USA would see 1st October 2019 as the target end date for TIS-123 in both Jira Software and Advanced Roadmaps.

How due dates and custom dates work

Due dates and custom dates are based on the local timezone settings of the user. Due to their corresponding timezone settings, Alana from Australia may see 1st October 2019 as the due date for TIS-123, while Will from the USA may see this as 30th September 2019. However, Alana will see the same date value in both Jira Software and Advanced Roadmaps, and the same applies to Will.

However, if you're using due dates and custom dates as the start and end dates in the plan, Will and Alana will see the same dates in Advanced Roadmaps, and potentially different dates in Jira Software. The date values may be off by a day for both of them. This is because of their timezone settings, and because Jira Software and Advanced Roadmaps handle dates differently.

And once added to the schemes as noted above they will show up in the custome fields and look like this:

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 4.01.42 PM.png

Regards,
Earl

Ramon Yll Prous July 21, 2020

Thanks for your response, Earl. 

I already included the due dates in the Advanced Roadmap. I was interested in knowing whether both sets of dates (i.e., (1) target dates AND (2) due dates) can be displayed at the same time. We want to use one set of dates as "milestone dates" and the other one as "actual start and end dates". Having both displayed in the roadmap would be very useful.

However, I imply from what you responded that this is not supported. Only one set of dates can be displayed. Can you please confirm?

Thanks again!

Like Nyssa Watkin likes this
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2021

Hello @Ramon Yll Prous ,

While yes you can show both dates at the same time by adding in the additional fields, the visual markers in the timeline will only relate to the configured date in the plan settings.

However, we do have an open feature request in place to add in milestone markers at the following feature requests for Cloud and Server platforms respectively to gather interest and feedback on a milestone feature, please check this out and add a vote as well as  any additional feedback you have for this feature here to help bump up the priority:

Regards,
Earl

Christophe H-M September 14, 2022

Hello @Earl McCutcheon 

I'm looking for the exact same feature as requested by @Ramon Yll Prous and I found this post in the community.

Your previous answer is not fully satisfying to me. First you said over the year you simplified the advanced roadmap, I'd say you removed a very good feature here as it used to be there in previous version of the plan: https://confluence.atlassian.com/advancedroadmapsserver0328/adding-target-dates-1005804003.html

Clearly the third picture on this page is perfect and it is what we miss today. Otherwise it is not convenient to track any deviation. Yes you can compare scenarios, you can compare dates by reading them, but nothing as efficient as comparing both lines on a Gantt view.

Then you point to the milestone request, which is there for years and years without much interest from Atlassian so it is like showing a dead end road, not fair. Without saying a milestone has nothing to do with comparing initial and actual plan.

How can I raise a request to put back an existing feature like the one in the link?

EDIT: I guess I found the request to vote for: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-20495

0 votes
Chris Miller March 9, 2021

I have the same need and question.  If I could display resolved date that could replace the actual end date.  But would still need an actual start date.

0 votes
Jacqueline Cheng February 17, 2021

Hi @Earl McCutcheon ,

I also have the same question, please could you reply to @Ramon Yll Prous last comment.

Thanks,

Jacqueline

0 votes
Anisha Gallagher November 17, 2020

Hi @Earl McCutcheon ,

I have the same question, please could you reply to @Ramon Yll Prouslast comment.

Thanks,

Anisha

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events