Is there a way to customize existing Work Management Templates?

Shan Kotta Prakash May 2, 2022

Just wondering if there is a way that I can customize the existing JIRA Work Management templates, so that I can have a predefined set of Tasks and a custom workflow statuses while creating a new JIRA Work Management Project.

So that my team can choose this custom template while creating a project. 

Any information regarding this will be helpful.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2022

no this is not possible. However you can create a project from one of the templates and change it however you wish and then you can use that project as a template for a new project. At least for CMP projects.

Hello Jack,  Thank you for your response.  May I know what is CMP Stands for? 

I was thinking something similar (using Share Project settings option) as an alternate solution, but still I'm not sure whether that will completely work for me.  I'm sure I can have the Workflow and Statuses, Permissions be copied from a Project if I use Share Project settings, but not sure if I can also copy the Tasks/Sub-Tasks from the project?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2022

sorry...Company Managed Project = CMP vs. Team Managed Project = TMP.

I'm not sure what you mean by your final sentence regarding tasks and subtasks. Any project can have those issue types if so configured.

Thank you for clarifying.  Sure I know the Issue types can also be copied when I use the Share Project settings options.  What I meant was, is it possible to have a few Pre-defined Tasks/Sub-Tasks copied or auto populated.  Lets say I have a project with a few tasks such as (ex., Planning, Design, Development, Testing … etc.), is it possible to have these copied into a new Project?  Trying to keep some of the Tasks as standard across the projects, so not sure whether this is possible. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2022

I would use Automation for this goal I think. you can't clone issues from on project to another when creating the project.

That's a good idea, I'll look into automation.  Thank you Jack!

2 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2022

Hi Shan - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You cannot modify the template itself so that it always uses your changes. But you can modify the setup after the project is created. 

Thank you John!  Is there a way we can create a custom template?  I didn't see an option, but just checking to see if there is a way.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 4, 2022

No, you can't create templates at all. You can just create a project and get it all setup as you like, and then create other projects based on that existing project. 

Pia Pollari
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 2, 2023

how could I create other project, which is based on the project I´m creating just now?

I would like to create another project now, when the existing one is still empty.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2023

You can't create a new project based on another one until that project has been completely created (it can't still be in the process of being created). 

Pia Pollari
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 3, 2023

what means "project has been completely created"?

All the tasks are now created, that I need for the project. But the tasks are not assigned, of there are no comments, or statuses updated.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 13, 2023

Just that the process was completed when you click on Create project

Suggest an answer