Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Is there a way to create a button that creates sub-tasks automatically?

Edited

I have created Automation rule to create subtasks automatically whenever stories are created , is it also possible to have a button in place to create those sub-tasks? I ask because in some cases we have user stories that have no implementation insight and therefore do not need to have these sub-tasks.

Please suggest?

2 answers

4 votes
Mikael Sandberg Community Leader May 16, 2022

Hi @Suneel Varma,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

You could make your automation a manual one, then you can click on Rule execution and it will be listed as an option.

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 7.19.43 AM.png 

3 votes
Craig Nodwell Community Leader May 16, 2022

Hi @Suneel Varma welcome to the community.
I think the best solution for you here would be to have a custom field check box asking the end user if they wish to create the Sub-Tasks, then set your automation rule to validate that the box is checked prior to executing the actions.

Hi @Craig Nodwell 

Is there any way to dynamically create the sub-tasks based on field value using Automation rule 

For ex- If the Field value is 10, 10 sub-tasks should be created and there is no limit on field value.

Craig Nodwell Community Leader May 16, 2022

I wish I could test for you but right now I do not have an env.
I would look at some of the documentation to see if you can do it.
Have a look at Smart Values and how you can create them and use them in automations.  They can perform math expressions so I would imagine with some programming logic you should be able to pull it off.  Again though if you can I can't verify for you.  Perhaps someone else can help here.

Smart values in Jira automation

Jira smart values - math expressions

Examples of using math expression smart values

Like Manisha likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM Trial
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...

14,698 views 37 47
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you