Is there a way to create a button that creates sub-tasks automatically?

Suneel Varma
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 16, 2022

I have created Automation rule to create subtasks automatically whenever stories are created , is it also possible to have a button in place to create those sub-tasks? I ask because in some cases we have user stories that have no implementation insight and therefore do not need to have these sub-tasks.

Please suggest?

2 answers

4 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2022

Hi @Suneel Varma,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

You could make your automation a manual one, then you can click on Rule execution and it will be listed as an option.

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 7.19.43 AM.png 

3 votes
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2022

Hi @Suneel Varma welcome to the community.
I think the best solution for you here would be to have a custom field check box asking the end user if they wish to create the Sub-Tasks, then set your automation rule to validate that the box is checked prior to executing the actions.

Manisha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2022

Hi @Craig Nodwell 

Is there any way to dynamically create the sub-tasks based on field value using Automation rule 

For ex- If the Field value is 10, 10 sub-tasks should be created and there is no limit on field value.

Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2022

I wish I could test for you but right now I do not have an env.
I would look at some of the documentation to see if you can do it.
Have a look at Smart Values and how you can create them and use them in automations.  They can perform math expressions so I would imagine with some programming logic you should be able to pull it off.  Again though if you can I can't verify for you.  Perhaps someone else can help here.

Smart values in Jira automation

Jira smart values - math expressions

Examples of using math expression smart values

Like Manisha likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM Trial
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events