Is there a way to automatically copy version from one project to another?

Siree December 11, 2020

So a bunch of projects share the same release train.  I would like to be able to create versions in one main project and have those versions copied or automatically created in the other projects.

Is there a way to do that?

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2020

Definitely check out the Version Sync app for Jira Cloud.

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 13, 2020

Hi @Siree , hi @Aron Gombas _Midori_ ,

I am the product manager of Version Sync for Jira

It's indeed possible to automatically copy versions from one project to others. 

Don't hesitate to get in touch with our support, if you have questions or feedback.

2 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2020

Hi @Siree 

Yes, you may do that with a global / multiple project rule.

For example, let say when a version is created on Project A that you want to also create it in Project B, you would use:

• Create a global rule in Project A, selecting Projects A and B as included
  • Trigger: Version created
  • Action: Create version
    • Copy the name and/or release date from the triggering version.  At this time, these are the only fields which can be set for a version with automation rules.
    • Under more options, select to create the version in Project B

Best regards,

Bill

Siree December 16, 2020

I tried that but got an error saying it has to be linked to an issue.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2020

I tried the rule I suggested and it worked for me.  Would you please post the error you are seeing, from creating the rule or in the audit log when running the rule?

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2022

@Siree @Bill Sheboy  Sorry I'm late to the party - which platforms are you on? I'm trying to do this on cloud. Thanks.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2022

Hi @Kelly Arrey 

I recall that I tried this with Jira Cloud and it worked.

Kind regards,
Bill

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2022

Thanks @Bill Sheboy, wish me luck!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Ignacio Vera April 6, 2022

Hi everyone! @[deleted] should look like this? It's not working :(

image.png
image.png

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2022

Hi @Ignacio Vera -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What do you observe happening?  And, please post an image of the audit log details as that may provide context for an problems.

Kind regards,
Bill

Ignacio Vera April 7, 2022

No matter what I change, only updated the source project (where version is created)
image.png

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2022

Would you please expand to show the details of the audit log for that rule execution, and post that image?

And...please note because this is a multi-project rule, creating versions in either project could trigger the rule.  Please consider if that is what you want, and what "stopping condition" you need to help prevent rule looping.

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2022

Also, with Bill's help, I have a working example posted below.

1 vote
Karri Adkins February 23, 2022

Can anyone post a screenshot on how this looks?  I am trying in cloud and am doing something wrong as it will not work.  It worked once and was posting wrong data, when i tried to do it again, not won't create version as expected.

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2022

Hi Karri, here's what's working for me on Jira Cloud:
2022-02-23_11h11_19.png

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2022

Additional details in case this helps ... 
2022-02-23_11h12_52.png2022-02-23_11h13_24.png

Vin Nguyen March 18, 2022

@Kelly Arrey why do you have two And Creation Verision where the key is verision.name? 

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2022

Hi @Vin Nguyen , I'm using multiple "And: Create versions" to create new versions in multiple projects.  There may be a better way, and I'm certainly open to suggestion. Hope this helps!

Kel

rbalamu2 April 18, 2023

Hi @Kelly Arrey ,
Your solution works like magic. Thank you so much.. Can you please help me to copy the start date, end date and description from the newly created version to the other project as well. Right now, just the version name is getting created in other project but I also want to create version along with the date and description.

~Rahini

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2023
0 votes
Anette Unger February 8, 2024

Hello,

is there a solution for SERVER Version too - not Jira CLOUD?

Thanks

Anette

0 votes
Ignacio Vera April 7, 2022

If anyone use Script Runner, you can create a Version listener. Have found this was like find a treasure
image.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events