Is there a way to archive or hide boards?

Chris Stemen July 10, 2014

Over the course of the last year my group has worked through a lot of projects. As projects go through cycle the list of boards continues to grow. I understand how to hide projects from view, but I don't see a way to archive old boards. I would like to be able to do this as I do not want to lose the sprint history, but the list of boards to search through is becoming obnoxious. Any suggestions as to how to hide old boards without deleting them? We are currently using JIRA 5.2.8.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Benito Picarelli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 10, 2014

Hi Chris,

Right now there is no button to hide them. There is an improvement request for this created here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-7849

There is also a workaround in one of the comments there which, even sort of sloppy, could work:

Suggested workaround: restrict the permissions of the filter that the board is based on. The "Agile" drop-down menu and "View on Board" remain visible but a user without permissions to use the filter won't be able to see any boards based on it.

Cheers!

Mike Cobucci January 21, 2019

I killed the filter itself by removing all projects from the share and saving it that way. That removed it from the Project board list.

Like Ricky Lin likes this
Ricky Lin January 13, 2020

Ditto to what Mike said.  I basically transferred the filter to myself and made it private, which also hid the board from Board list as well as not letting users access them.

GHS-7849 is a different improvement request because it's about group control.

1 vote
anthonytod March 23, 2015

Resurrecting an old discussion here, but...

We can archive releases so they don't pollute ongoing work as a real history is built up.

This should be the same for boards for consistency so if you want to dig into the history you can, but they don't get in the way of navigating through live projects / boards.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-7849

Doesn't look like the same issue to me, as that is controlling access by user account / group for security against live boards. Not archiving boards in general.

So is there a separate feature or future feature for board archiving?

As an admin, I can switch the permissions to just myself, solves it for others, but not for me...

0 votes
Chris Stemen March 23, 2015

What I have found to be my current "work around" is to document the board filter and configuration settings and then just delete the boards.  Since the boards are all just views into the records driven by the filter, you don't lose anything by killing them, and you can always recreate them in the future if necessary.  It's sort of an annoyance to my type-A bookkeeping brain, but isn't the worst thing since I can keep a configuration ledger, so to speak.  This issue no longer causes me much, if any, pain.

Now, what would be useful is a favorites gadget (similar to the favorite saved filters gadget) for boards, such that I could access them from a dashboard.  The recently viewed list gets overwritten too often, so that options is not perfect by any stretch.  Additionally, I have many groups now that use rapid boards in various ways, and hiding them under the "Agile" link is a bit confusing as they wouldn't think to look there without training and repetition of use.  To them it is just a small list of "project work boards" and they much prefer to operate in their team dashboard space where things are consolidated and customized to their preferences as a one-stop-shop.  Finding boards through the Agile list is just an unnecessary extra step for many.  I have some groups literally bookmark their boards in their browser favorites - that is not a good sign in terms of accessibility and ease of use!  This is one of those things where it won't seem like a big deal to some, but there are "old school" users who don't want too many bells and whistles - they just prefer simplicity.  Everyone knows the "number of clicks to find what I want" rule.

David Sokolowski June 26, 2015

Don't you lose the history of your team's velocity when you delete the board? That's our main reason for keeping them all around...

Brian Keefe June 10, 2016

I share the same thoughts as David - you would lose the reports. I like the improvement suggestion!

Suggest an answer