Is there a way for the non Scrum Master end user to switch from board by epics or assignees

Neil Wills April 18, 2023

• The scrum board can be switched by the scrum master 
  • How can an end user switch the scrum swim lane view from Epics to Assignee?

use case: 

We have  multiple tiger teams 2-3 engineers with a single backlog, and a single board.

We could create separate boards, but that adds an overhead to SM to change the baord during the stand up and devs tracking the boards.

If we have a single board the SM can switch the view and walk through the agenda, asking each tiger team, on track or not and then switching to assignee status

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2023

Hello @Neil Wills 

Only a person who is an Administrator for the board can switch the setting for Swimlanes. It can't be changed by an end user.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2023

Hi @Neil Wills 

Yes, and...to Trudy's answer:

Would you please describe the flow of your teams' use of the boards and the "standup"?  And, how do epics fit into this for the different tiger teams?

I ask because I wonder if quick filters (by tiger team) would be sufficient for the standup part you describe.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like Trudy Claspill likes this
Neil Wills April 18, 2023

We currently have 3 tiger teams, a single sprint period.

Each 3 person tiger team has a given focus for a 2 week sprint.

I could add quick filter for each tiger team, but the convenience of change board swimlanes configuration made me ask the question I did, I knew that it was unlikely there was am end user way of overriding the board configuration.

Epics happened for our current use case is a good theme on stories \ dev tasks in the sprint to see who is assigned to the work.

I should call out that our user stories are current dev tasks and this is why organize under epics is useful, I can see if we were doing things as per scrum that swimlanes organized by User stories would have been useful and see the dev task under Epics or User stories.

We are using advanced roadmaps but engineering dev team members are not as yet using those during the sprint.

as an acting SM, I used the view to show here is our progress on the dev work during the sprint for each tiger team since they basically working against epics.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2023

Thanks for that information.  Based on what you described, perhaps try:

• swim lanes by epics,
  • add quick filters by tiger team, and see how that flows for the standup. 
  • When you also need the assignee-specific view, that is already built into boards by selecting the avatars.

With those configurations, anyone who can see the board can change the view without project admin (e.g., scrum master) support.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events