Is there a trigger for a pull request that is Commented on, or Requested Changes?

Mashu Duek February 9, 2021

When reviewing Pull Requests (PR) on Github, the common options are to (1) comment (either in-line or top level comments), (2) approve, and (3) request changes. The triggers offered by Jira to automate actions based off of PRs are the following: 

PR Created 

PR Declined

PR Merged 

I haven't yet looked into whether finishing a PR review with Comment or Request changes will trigger the PR Declined hook, but I believe it may be best for those to be separate, as Github has them separate. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mashu Duek February 9, 2021

Checked this functionality just now. Sorry for double post. 

Requesting changes does not trigger the automation. But Closing the PR does. 

I would suggest to create individual triggers for finishing a PR with "Comment", and "Request Changes". And I would also rename the "Declined" PR trigger to "Closed", since that is what Github calls it. 

0 votes
Rehan Ahmad May 20, 2021

There isn't any direct way but it is possible to show the pull requests approval status on the associated Jira cards using my open source chrome extension: PR Status.

Please try and give feedback.

Mashu Duek May 20, 2021

Hi Rehan,

Thank you for your reply, and for that awesome Chrome Extension! 

I don't believe this solves the issue of automating the transition of a card, based on a PR review. It is still only possible to automatically transition a card on the following actions: Opening PR, Closing PR (Jira calls it Decline), and Merging PR. 

Like # people like this
Rehan Ahmad May 20, 2021

Agreed. It would be great if this was possible!

In our team at standup time we had to constantly open the github pages just to check if the pr has enough approvals. This is cumbersome especially if you need two approvals to progress the ticket. I developed the extension to overcome this confusion. Now the conversation goes like: Thanks for the reviews and approvals, I will merge the PR... 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events