Is there a dark mode available for Jira on the web?

Matt Richards December 5, 2019

This is one of the last primary tools we use to not be running in a dark mode, and it's rough on the eyes every time we have to switch to Jira.

29 answers

1 accepted

72 votes
Answer accepted
Caleb Cushing
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 11, 2021

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/night-mode-for-jira/nlgcogdbamhmdbpaabmpklojolokodaa might help if you spend your days in it in chrome. Though it sucks that atlassian is forcing people into hacks

Joe.hicks June 22, 2021

Works as advertised.

Like # people like this
JC July 7, 2021

Thank you! This worked out great!  Sadly, since we spend so much time in front a screen, Dark Mode should be a standard option on all applications and all sites.  Optometrists are making millions.

Note, I used the extension in MS Edge as it now allows you to add Chrome extensions.

Like # people like this
Andrew Rowland
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 29, 2021

Thank you so much for this! This was one of the last tools I use daily that was not in dark mode.

Like JC likes this
Mark van den Bergh
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 31, 2021

EPIC! Thanks. @Joe.hicks 

Like JC likes this
Brian Krespan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 2, 2021

Works great! Sad we have to use an extension for it, but glad one exists.

Like JC likes this
Ade Dyas
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 23, 2021

any recommendation for Safari? :(

Like # people like this
JC September 23, 2021

@Ade Dyas Yes, https://darkreader.org/, I have been using this instead and it is amazing!  You are able to set which sites need to be dark or not.  JIRA display much better as well.  Make sure to donate as we only get one pair of eyes!

Like # people like this
bhunt
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 29, 2021

This extension started requesting access to browsing history suddenly. I would not recommend using it. Seems pretty fishy.

Like # people like this
Brian Krespan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 29, 2021

I noticed this the other day, I tried to reverse engineer it but couldn't get it to work. Ended up uninstalling it.

Like Andrew Rowland likes this
Joe.hicks October 18, 2021

I also uninstalled after it started asking for permissions where it did not before.  Shame, too, because it looked nice.

Like # people like this
Mykhailo Mavrodii
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 26, 2021

@Caleb Cushing bless you!

H_
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 19, 2021

it worked!! thank you!

Shrihari December 9, 2021

So the dark mode exists on mobile / mac os app but not on web , thats a shame!

Like # people like this
Avi Nerenberg
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 1, 2022

I use this extension as well, but I don't understand (or like) the fact that it requires access to browsing history (img below). Perhaps there's a legitimate reason for this that I'm not aware of.

Either way, it's a shame that users need to give a third party extension access to the Jira/Atlassian websites to achieve what should be native functionality.

jira night mode extension details permissions.PNG

Like # people like this
Brian Krespan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 1, 2022

Yeah, I stopped using it and went with the Stylus option and tweaked it. The one from Adan Alvarado listed below was great.

Like Chris Richner likes this
Ovidiu Mihalcea
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 1, 2022

It's funny for me that we all seem to have this privacy concern with this extension, but no one noticed that the Stylus extension (that is a prerequisite to using the solution @Adan Alvarado so kindly offered us) also has the same permission requirements. Am I missing something?

Stylus screenshot.png

Like # people like this
Arpit Awasthi
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 3, 2022

I use Safari. Anything fro that?

Daniel Zamudio
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 17, 2022

NOPE. This plugin asks you to authorize them to have access to your actual JIRA account. This is supposed to be a cosmetic restyling for dark mode. This is super fishy.

rsbeckerca March 1, 2023

Anything available for FireFox? It's bad enough that scrolling does not work properly in Jira sprint boards.

ilia kassianenko March 1, 2023

@rsbeckerca An early access feature is available from Jira. The instructions are listed here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-63150

Like # people like this
landon
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 2, 2023

@ilia kassianenko the real MVP. I would NEVER trust any of the third party options listed in this thread. I am glad to see a real solution. And posted just yesterday on such an old thread. I got lucky.

Like Avi Nerenberg likes this
rsbeckerca March 2, 2023

I decided to go with FireFox dark mode instead of using a Jira App.

robin_puerta
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 3, 2023

THANKS @ilia kassianenko ! It worked!

Juliano Kessler
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 3, 2024

It's 2024 and now this Chrome extension wants full access to your data across all websites. There's no way in hell I will add this extension. 

The official dark mode feature from Jira is not available in my Jira installation. I guess my company may not be using the latest Jira version. It's 2024 and I still don't have dark mode for Jira. Depressing. 

Like rsbeckerca likes this
Kitia_ Getrude
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 22, 2024

Thank you! My eyes are in "cool heaven".

36 votes
Jon Beacher
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 4, 2022

Please implement this into native JIRA, instead of relying on 3rd party tools

Rahul Chauhan July 28, 2022

Yes, please!

Like # people like this
Vinicius Sineza
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 4, 2023

as @ilia kassianenko said
An early access feature is available from Jira. The instructions are listed here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-63150

Like Alex Bachynskyi likes this
31 votes
Amira Badran
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 7, 2022

Hello Community

Just dropping in because we have some huge news to share… we’re delivering an early access preview of our highest requested feature, a dark theme (and a new light theme as well) to Jira Cloud products.

We’ll be providing early access to themes in Jira labs, which means you get to test it out early and help us make the feature the best it can be. Once you’ve opted in to the experience, you’ll be able to switch between our new light and dark themes. We really need to call out that this is still a work in progress and you can opt out at any time.

DM roadmap.png

How to opt in to the new themes

The feature is available via Jira Labs on your Personal settings page. If you’d like to try it out:

1. Go to Settings > Personal Jira settings
  1. Scroll down the page to Jira labs.
  1. Opt in to Light and dark themes using the toggle.

At any point, you can return to the original Jira colors by opting out of Light and dark themes, just switch the toggle back off.

The majority of our products are looking pretty sweet in the new themes, but there are a few bits and bobs that are definitely a work in progress, such as Marketplace apps. It won’t affect all our users, but depending on your setup, those areas might look a little odd during the early access period.

If you find parts of Jira that don’t look quite right with the new themes, please give us feedback through the Share your feedback button on your Personal settings page.

More info on what to expect can be found here

For Marketplace Partners, please read how to migrate all of your Apps to Dark Theme here

Thank you!

Amira Badran

Product Manager, Jira Software

Alexander Harbavets December 8, 2022

I'm very thankful to the Jira team for working on this highly requested feature. But after trying it I noticed that one essential feature is missing - there's no option to automatically sync theme with the browser and the OS theme. Please consider adding this option. It's very simple to implement either in pure CSS or in JS.

This option is essential, because if you like to use the light theme in the daytime and the dark theme in the evening, then switching themes on dozens of browser tabs 2 times a day is absolutely tedious.

CSS: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/@media/prefers-color-scheme

JS: https://stackoverflow.com/a/57795495/2262141

Like # people like this
Rafał Gliński February 2, 2023

There is "Match system theme" option 😊

Like Mário Mariani likes this
steffen.keilhold
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 13, 2023

Is this also available/planned for confluence?

Like # people like this
17 votes
Adan Alvarado February 25, 2021

I created a style to be used with Stylus web extension. Please take a look here:

https://github.com/aalvarado/JiraDarkTheme

Jon Bianco February 25, 2021

This is the exact solution that the OP requested, and what i came here for. @Adan Alvarado  Thank you so much for this! +++

Like # people like this
Matt Richards February 25, 2021

Thanks @Adan Alvarado for your work on this. As the OP, I just wanted to chime in to say that this is very cool and impressive, but not what we're looking for, as @Jon Bianco suggested (although I hope it works for Jon).

Setting aside the fact that it's incomplete (there are white artifacts scattered about and whole sections of the site that are not dark), what we're looking for is native dark mode support from Atlassian.

Thanks again for putting this together, and for sharing it.

Like # people like this
Adan Alvarado March 2, 2021

True, but this is the most up to date version that it is easily distribuitable and anyone who would like to contribute is welcome to do so while we wait for native.

It is often better to release imperfectly than to never do so.

Which white artifacts bother you the most if you don't mind asking? :)

Thank you for your response

Like # people like this
Jon Bianco March 3, 2021

I am not experiencing any artifacts in the UI, although the colors may not be to everyone's liking (I prefer the light blue main copy to be just white), but given the theme created, it is very easily able to be modified. I look forward to seeing forks and revisions of this!

Like Michael Pollack likes this
Jon Bianco March 3, 2021

BTW here's my slight changes to @Adan Alvarado  theme:

Line 79:

.adg3 .ghx-summary,
.adg3 .ghx-summary .ghx-inner {
color: #fff;
}

Line 112:

[data-testid="ContextualNavigation"] div:first-child {
background-color: #333;
color: #fff;
}

Like Adan Alvarado likes this
Adan Alvarado March 3, 2021

I've been looking into specifying css variables so that they can be overridden from the extension. Thank you for that piece of code, I'll see how I can incorporate it!

Like xmoroccan likes this
Adan Alvarado August 17, 2021

I've been sort of defaulting on Dark Reader, I haven't made updates in a while. You're welcome to try create a PR with those changes:

https://github.com/aalvarado/JiraDarkTheme/pulls

Like # people like this
JC August 18, 2021

Oh wow, Dark Reader works so much better!

Like # people like this
Ben
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 15, 2021

Dark Reader is the Bee's Knees

Joe Davey March 21, 2022

I use Night Eye but it's a little site-agnostic so some color themes that Jira think are important should stick around. This add-on is perfect. Thanks!

Woah Dark Reader! Now there's some slick interface options!

15 votes
jfairley
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 12, 2021

Alongside the other generic answers, the Dark Reader extension makes JIRA look really nice, not to mention every other site.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-reader/eimadpbcbfnmbkopoojfekhnkhdbieeh?hl=en-US

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/darkreader/

oranges13 March 16, 2021

In my experience recently, Darkreader has been breaking Confluence editor though :(

jfairley
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 23, 2021

Ah, that's too bad. I don't use Confluence at my current company, but I remember it struggled with JIRA too, before the somewhat-recent redesign.

Yoel Feuermann
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 1, 2022

thanks for this. i was hoping I wasn't the only Firefox user using jira...

Like # people like this
Parth Patel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 20, 2022

Big +1 on Dark Reader. I love that extension and have donated to the devs - really nice dark mode for like 98% of the websites.

Rignalda
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 5, 2022

Brilliant solution. Not just for my jira problems, but also for other tools. 10/10 going to recommend to literally everyone.

Nick Broten
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 6, 2022

This is the answer that wasn't blocked my my company admins, and it's immediately helpful. 

Note, watch your color editing, as it can't display text you set to very dark colors because of the dark background and flips it to lighter colors. But you should be able to either turn it off while you're doing that or remember to account for it.

11 votes
Alexander Harbavets November 2, 2021

All these third party solutions can only be considered as temporary solutions. They can stop working partially or completely in any moment because of any future changes in Jira. The proper solution would be a native dark theme from the Jira team which will be synchronized with the current OS theme using the prefers-color-scheme CSS media query

9 votes
Garett Trotter
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 23, 2022

It's 2022 WTF! Why is this not supported yet? @Support

JC May 23, 2022

Hey Garett, many of us are using the 'Dark Reader' app to save our eyesight.  I agree with 100% that the standard is not keeping up with the times.

6 votes
dennish_dcsorg_com October 21, 2022

Here is the long term solution. Coming 2023

Update September 9th, 2022

It’s official! 

Dark Mode is coming to Jira.

We’ll be progressively rolling out this feature with a Closed Alpha, Open Beta and finalising with General Availability in Q2 2023.

There will also be a separate collaboration stream with app developers and vendors to get everyone ready for Dark Mode.

Thanks everyone again for engaging with this ticket!

Carlos Khatchikian

Sr. Engineer Manager, Jira Software

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-63150

Michael Pollack October 31, 2022

only 3 years for a much asked for feature that is announced to be released next year

Is Atlassian owned by Netflix?

Like # people like this
Julian Joseph
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 31, 2022

@dennish_dcsorg_com just to be clear, this is on the roadmap just for JIRA and not yet Confluence?

Alexander Harbavets November 1, 2022

@Michael Pollack Postman went further - they can't implement "Feature: Enable Dark/Light theme based on OS theme" for 4 years now and even didn't announce anything. While they have dark theme since 2014.

Hope, Jira and Confluence will support sync with OS theme along with dark theme

Diana
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2022

Looks like it's only for Cloud version and not for Data Center?

Ron Chan May 4, 2023

Is there a timeline for a Data Center release?

KJ Tan November 29, 2023
6 votes
Maximilian Porzelt October 11, 2020

Hi.
Dark mode / dark theme is one of the most popular features currently.
Our app DarkTheme for Jira has been available since the beginning of 2020 and does exactly what you are looking for.

the app provides three additional dark themes (dark modes) that can be switched on/off by every user on its own.

Just give it a try:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221577/darktheme

Matt Richards October 13, 2020

Thanks for sharing your product. We're not using Jira server, but rather Jira cloud, so I don't know that it applies. Moreover, the point is that in this day and age, dark mode should be available OOTB, and we shouldn't have to pay for it. 

Like # people like this
Michael Pollack December 22, 2020

The Dude Abides

Like # people like this
Christian Sprenger March 2, 2021

No budget for that, require it free :/

Like # people like this
Darren Stafford
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 4, 2021

You have to pay for dark mode. Is this a joke!!

Like # people like this
Adan Alvarado March 4, 2021

Hello @Darren Stafford , Mine is free and open source. Please take a look here https://github.com/aalvarado/JiraDarkTheme, I also follow up on bugs on it atm. :)

Like # people like this
Simon Clifford
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 16, 2021

Pity, I know others that swear by Jira etc, but ease of use and setup, just setup this and Monday, first thing out of the box, turn on Dark mode. Big fail here, I am going to Monday.com

Like # people like this
Clifton.Copeland
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 23, 2021

Paying for something like dark mode is akin to paying for rear window tinting in an SUV now-days.  Package the dark mode in with the OOTB Jira feature set.  There are already far too many 'features' that have extra cost associated with them.  Charging for dark mode is absurdity at its best.  Listen to your user base on this one Atlassian...

Like # people like this
Bobby S
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 7, 2021

Wow, paying extra for dark mode? Absolutely not. I would be very curious to hear the justification for that, given that that is wildly non-standard.

Like # people like this
Kyle Richardson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 18, 2021

Dark theme is a for pay feature? I assume you lost a bet and had to post this ridiculous drivel?

Like # people like this
Daniel Refahi
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 25, 2021

OMG.... seriously!!! Paid dark-mode !!!

Like # people like this
Zachary Kupu
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 9, 2021

Are you kidding me? Why would you charge for a dark mode?

Are you really that strapped for cash?

Like # people like this
Mark van den Bergh
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 9, 2021

Just install this Chrome extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/night-mode-for-jira/nlgcogdbamhmdbpaabmpklojolokodaa
This is from a previous thread, there is also a Mozilla extension.

My guess is that there is a significant amount of work to do, that will make the experience well worth it to pay for the dark mode. That is a decent amount of work.

bhunt
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 18, 2021

I would not recommend using that Chrome extension as it has started asking for access to your browser history. Check the Q&A of the extension page to see the author denying it and claiming its a standard warning. I had that extension and it isnt a standard warning. 

I ended up using one of the many Stylish themes that you can find for free and inspect the css yourself. Several of them work better than the chrome extension ever did for me.

Elias Zenkich
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 20, 2021

Just use this, it's free and functional:

https://darkreader.org/

Thank me later...

Like # people like this
4 votes
Kwame Afreh January 2, 2023

Finally, Atlassian has released the dark theme feature in Jira and here is how you can activate it.

Profile -> Personal Settings -> Light and dark themes-> Switch the toggle on -> Select DarkDark Mode.gif

Joe.hicks January 3, 2023

arigato gozaimasu, goshujinsama

Mykhailo Mavrodii
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 3, 2023

Can't believe it's true.

Like Kwame Afreh likes this
Kwame Afreh January 3, 2023

@Mykhailo Mavrodii  :)

It's been a long time coming, if you have been following this ticket below but it is true at least for cloud users. I have it in my environment.

3 votes

Native dark mode, please.

3 votes
Dzintars July 1, 2021

You could try  to enable chrome://flags/#enable-force-dark  and see if that helps. But... don't complain. It's a early stage feature which is making its first baby-steps. Hopefully we will see it implemented in one or in the other way. Be aware that it will enable dark mode across all websites.

Native support is what we want. This helps but not everyone.

2 votes
Rakesh
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 23, 2022
2 votes
Jack Tors
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 16, 2022

Apparently, there is not a single designer in this thread.

Implementing Dark Mode is not as simple as simply using inverse colors. The entire design system has to be rebuilt and tested.   When Figma worked on Dark Mode, they had to enlist the ENTIRE COMPANY to change over 5,000 component colors manually.  

That being said, some designers from Atlassian were at a Figma conference today, and they said Dark Mode is in development, but the actual functionality of the platform is the priority. 

You are welcome! 

Julian Joseph
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 16, 2022

@Jack Tors Thanks for that context. Yes, I suspect there also has to be quite a bit of accessibility testing for color contrast.

Like Andreia Duarte likes this
2 votes
Medin October 14, 2022

Its really bad we dont have native solution by Jira to turn on dark mode :(

2 votes
Shaye
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 4, 2021

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH CUSTOM CODE!

Use darkreader.org

A plugin that turns every website into darkmode.

1 vote
Mecaaaa
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 11, 2022

So many great suggestions, awesome!
I found this link which combined everything about jira dark mode which might help you: 

https://easynote.com/blog/project-management/this-is-how-you-can-to-get-jira-dark-mode/

1 vote
tig-robertgrundeken
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 5, 2020

Just had the same question and ended up here. Because the posts here are from 6 or more months ago, i'll give an updated answer :)

I found some nice ones:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?query=dark%20mode

I already had the Global CSS and JS installed so that was an easy choice for me. I can add some custom tweaks myself

1 vote
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2019

Hi @Matt Richards ,

Check here

https://userstyles.org/styles/browse/atlassian

Maybe you can find the one that works :)

Hi Mirek,

Thanks for your response. I've looked at the "Stylish" Chrome browser plugin that you referenced, but my concern there is that they can "Read and change all your data on the websites you visit" which seems like a significant privacy concern. 

I'm hoping that there is a function native to Jira. 

Like # people like this

As a follow up, I tried it all the same and it doesn't work. It styled this page, but not our Jira.

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2019

I am not aware of noting that would be official. There are existing suggestion request which I highly recommend you to vote and watch

Cloud:

Server:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-63150

Making a dark mode is mostly modification of CSS that is loading, so all of those solutions probably are doing that and that is why it need permission to change something on a site. I do not expect that something can be changed on the backed

Anyway as a next step you can check all addons that are related to theme and Jira on the marketplace and maybe you can find something that would allow you to achieve

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?category=Themes%20%26%20styles&product=jira

Like # people like this
0 votes
Zohaib Arshad July 27, 2024

Thank you! This worked out great! Unfortunately, since we spend so much time in front of screens, Dark Mode should be a standard option on all applications and websites.

0 votes
Gary Braswell
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 5, 2023

Atlassian has recently published a Dark Mode theme (in Beta Mode).  You should be able to find it on your profile options now.

0 votes
Abraham Brookes
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 31, 2023

There is finally a dark mode for Jira, released today (1st June 2023). Thank you Jira team!

0 votes
Toan NC April 1, 2023

It's often to turn on and off between the Dark and Light modes on pages, ie: Jira, Confluence pages.
The developers often use Dark mode (to protect their eyes daily), but sometimes it's not compatible with the page content, embed images, tables or charts SO we have to turn off the dark mode at that time to see the content clearly.
It means WE NEED A WAY TO TURN ON/OFF QUICKLY the Dark mode. I often use "Dark Reader", a Chrome Extension. I got years experience on it and it's good up to last week, the confluence page's content is still WHITE event Dark Reader is already Dark mode. It's a bug somewhere.

Image1234234.png

0 votes
Carlos Sanchez Segura
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 1, 2023

Jira has a Darkmode now, here are the instructions:

Click on your profile picture

A menu will display then Click on Personal settings

And on the bottom youll see Light and dark themes, enable it

And choose the Dark Theme

Here are additional instructions for other devices https://www.simonsezit.com/article/jira-dark-mode/

rsbeckerca June 1, 2023

Thanks!

0 votes
Rathesh Richards
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2023

Help us test Jira Software's new dark theme! More information here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Help-us-test-Jira-s-new-dark-theme/ba-p/2211399

Suggest an answer