Is there a URL directly to the "Create Issue" pop-up window?

Tobias H
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2022

Hello!

I would be a real happy camper if someone could help me figure out (if possible) if there is a way to find an URL that takes the user directly to the "Create Issue" window within a specific Jira project.

Our Digitalization team would like to have a Confluence space which pages detailing the steps to request new systems, and one of those page would be "Submit your request here" and that url would take the user directly to the little window in which you create issues within a project.Screenshot 2022-09-01 171114.png

Is this at all doable? Or is there any other cool way to do this, maybe even directly within Confluence?

The only way I've managed to do this, is by using this URL: https://my.atlassian.net/secure/CreateIssue.jspa?issuetype=10006&pid=10000, but it takes users to a not-so-good looking page that does not offer any of the newer features.Screenshot 2022-09-01 171205.png

Edit: added screenshot.

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2022

Hi Tobias,

I would use a Jira Work Management or Jira Service Management project as the intake project for customers or other requests because you can create a form for them to fill in. 

Otherwise, it is going to be what you experience above. 

Tobias H
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2022

I see, thanks for confirming! Too bad.

We already ruled out using JSM for this purpose, the team wishes to work inside a  Software project rather than a Service project. This due to a lot of different departments (Legal, Cysec, etc) might be involved and we do not wish to have agent licenses all over the company.A Software project made more sense.

Plus, we didn't wish for our employees to enter the information in one place (JSM portal), only to be told to check up on status / continue discussions over on a different Jira board. Would have been sweet to collect link them directly to the create page, so they didn't have to go to the board and press Create by themselves (as some of our employees aren't used to Jira).

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2022

You can still setup automation so that the JWM or JSM form creates the issue. 

What we then do is auto close the issue with an automation rule and then use another automation rule to create the issue in the appropriate JSW. That rule also emails the user the JSW issue link, and then everyone works off of the Software issue. 

Tobias H
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2022

That was my initial thinking as well, but they still didn't want that. It's not easy to please everyone. I will just inform their team that the only way for a cleaner request form is to use JSM, or let users create issues directly within the project. Thanks!

Like John Funk likes this
David.Mason March 9, 2023

@Tobias H Unfortunately, I don't have an answer, but I do have a question.  How were you able to obtain the issuetype and pid?  I'm facing the same challenge as you and I'd be fine with the limited features in this case.

Tobias H
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 9, 2023

Hi @David.Mason

You can find issuetype id by going into the project settings and hovering the issuetype, the url in the bottom corner will end in the issuetype id (see image)

issuetype-id.png

You can find the project id by using REST API.

Use this, but exchange the <Text> with your url and project key.

<yourcompanyhere>.atlassian.net/rest/api/latest/project/<PROJECT_KEY>/

On the third row you will see a 5 digit number, that is the project id.

project-id.png

So take these two numbers and chuck them into this url: https://<yourcompanyhere>.atlassian.net/secure/CreateIssue.jspa?issuetype=10006&pid=10000

So in my case above, the issuetype would be replaced with 10223 and project id with 10215 😊

Hope that helps!

Like # people like this

Thanks.  Unfortunately, and I'm not sure why, non of our project keys yield a result:

"No project could be found with key 'XX'."

I've asked our project admins for help and referenced this thread.  Appreciate the quick response, especially after so long!

Tobias H
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 9, 2023

I think I might know the issue:

Try adding a / after the project key and also try writing it in caps.

Thank you again…no luck, unfortunately. I tried the default project/ which I think would return all, but it is also not working.  Perhaps there is some configuration on the admin side stopping api calls like this. 

Ok, I think this may be authentication related.  I can query Atlassian's own project list.  I'll work on that and let you know here.

Justin Drawz April 27, 2023

It would be great to have this updated, so that our custom fields would display their HTML properly on the issue create page.

Like # people like this
0 votes
robert Mugabuhamye
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2022

Hello @Tobias H

Did you take a look at issue collector?

You may have to create several buttons for several projets/issue type, but I think it might be your way to go from confluence

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/use-the-issue-collector/

Tobias H
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2022

Hello Robert!

I did, however, Issue collectors are only available for company-managed projects for whatever reason.

The project in question is a team-managed one, and should stay that way.

Thanks for the suggestion, either way :)

Like Chris Austin likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events