Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Is there a %Complete field for Epic issue types?

I need a quick way to determine the %Complete of my epics. Is there a specific field or report type that I can quickly access?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Do you mean for an individual Epic the percent of its child stories that are complete?

Are you trying to get this information for multiple epics at once or one epic at a time?

How do you want to determine percent complete; based on count of stories, or based on time estimates?

@Trudy Claspill 

One epic at a time, based on stories completed.

Is a story completed only when "Resolution" is closed?

Also can Epics have Epic children?

Epics cannot have other Epics as children. The native hierarchy supported by Jira is

Epics < Story/Bug/Task < Sub-tasks

You can extend this hierarchy using something like Advanced Roadmaps or other third party apps.

The percentage complete, based on issue count, for an Epic is displayed within the Epic itself. You can see it at the top of the list of child issues.

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 3.45.42 PM.png

You can also display this using the Pie Chart gadget configured with a filter that gets the issues that share an Epic Link value, and using Resolution as the Statistic for the gadget.

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 3.52.20 PM.png

An issue is considered complete when the Resolution field is any value other than "Unresolved"

If you used Advanced Roadmaps there's a Progress (Issue Count) field that you can add to easily view % complete (see below)

More discussion on this here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-can-I-get-a-percentage-of-complete-on-an-Epic-in-a-project/qaq-p/849496 

advanced roadmaps epic progress view.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...

14,698 views 37 47
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you