Is there a %Complete field for Epic issue types?

Devin Griffin August 30, 2021

I need a quick way to determine the %Complete of my epics. Is there a specific field or report type that I can quickly access?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2021

Do you mean for an individual Epic the percent of its child stories that are complete?

Are you trying to get this information for multiple epics at once or one epic at a time?

How do you want to determine percent complete; based on count of stories, or based on time estimates?

Devin Griffin September 1, 2021

@Trudy Claspill 

One epic at a time, based on stories completed.

Is a story completed only when "Resolution" is closed?

Also can Epics have Epic children?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2021

Epics cannot have other Epics as children. The native hierarchy supported by Jira is

Epics < Story/Bug/Task < Sub-tasks

You can extend this hierarchy using something like Advanced Roadmaps or other third party apps.

The percentage complete, based on issue count, for an Epic is displayed within the Epic itself. You can see it at the top of the list of child issues.

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 3.45.42 PM.png

You can also display this using the Pie Chart gadget configured with a filter that gets the issues that share an Epic Link value, and using Resolution as the Statistic for the gadget.

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 3.52.20 PM.png

An issue is considered complete when the Resolution field is any value other than "Unresolved"

1 vote
Bogdan Tenea May 26, 2022

If you used Advanced Roadmaps there's a Progress (Issue Count) field that you can add to easily view % complete (see below)

More discussion on this here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-can-I-get-a-percentage-of-complete-on-an-Epic-in-a-project/qaq-p/849496 

advanced roadmaps epic progress view.png

0 votes
Alexander Fear
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 16, 2023

What if Epics are very large? We have a situation where the business tracks activity in JIRA, whereas developers use Azure DevOps. We integrate across our "Epics" from ADO to JIRA into a new issue type. I also get the delivery owners of each Epic to estimate a % complete for the whole Epic (in ADO) based not only on the amount of specified Features, PBIs, and Tasks which are defined and done in there, but also on their knowledge of the as-yet-undefined Features and PBIs which often only exist as placeholders. The Epic itself is an attempt to draw agile CI/CD flow of work into progress charts that the management understand, so its inevitable that we have to give gut-feels on larger chunks of work that are not full defined or understood. 

Suggest an answer