• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Is it possible to set WIP Limit on different Swimlanes for a particulr Status

I need to setup a Kanban Board where I need to setup a WIP Limit for different items in the Workflow.

So for example, say I have 20 items of which 5 are Bugs, 10 are Major Enhancements and the remaining 5 are Minor Enhancements.

Can I set a WIP Limit on the "Ready for Dev" Status on the Kanban Board like below :

Bugs : 3

Minor Enhancements : 4

Major Enhancements : 1

I read somewhere that this is not possible in Jira. Can you confirm/clarify ?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk Community Leader Aug 03, 2020

Hi @Subramaniam Shastri  - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

No, you won't be able to differentiate between the swimlanes with WIP limits - they are set for the entire column. 

You could create separate boards for each of those and control your WIP Limits there and then have a master board with everything on it like you already have. 

I did not think about that, Thanks !

So you are saying  build  the issue constraints based on different issue types even though the UI in the Board does not have the ability to show it based on Issue types.

That way at least the triggers are being applied even though the Board UI may not necessarily reflect it in the way we want.

Is that right ?

John Funk Community Leader Aug 03, 2020

Just copy the current board 3 times. Then change the filter for each board to look something like:

Project = ABC and issuetype = Bug

Project = ABC and issuetype = Major

Then change the WIP Limits for the appropriate columns. The board UI doesn't really change at all other than the WIP Limits. 

0 votes

Hi @Subramaniam Shastri 

You can put max constraint on the column which is mapped to a status but that is it. There is no further breakup of WIP based on issue types but I am just curious why you want to do this? 

Ravi

I needed to do that since work requests will come in from different groups and I need a way to place limits on each rather than all requests.

0 votes
Jack Community Leader Aug 03, 2020

Hi @Subramaniam Shastri , welcome to the Community. This is indeed not possible. While you can set up Column constraints for your Kanban board you cannot do this at an issue type level.

Which is a shame since assigning capacity to a class of service often visualised in swim-lanes. This is Kanban 101, a basic functionality, which has been requested five (5!) years ago. :) Theres is a reason why David Anderson is advising against Jira...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

Bitbucket Smart Commits vs. Genius Commits - What's the difference?

If you already heard about Smart Commits in Bitbucket, know that you just stumbled upon something even better (and smarter!): Genius Commits by Better DevOps Automation for Jira Data Center (+ Server...

114 views 0 2
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you