Is it possible to see if a customer has opted out of notifications on a request?

Matthew Dell March 30, 2021

When a service desk team interacts with customers via Service Desk, it is important for the agent to know if the customer, or reporter specifically, has opted out of notifications for the request so they can seek alternate means of communication. Otherwise they'll share comments not knowing if they're generating a notification for the customer.

Is there a way for the service desk team to see if the customer has opted out of notifications on a request? If not, is there an event we can listen for or some request property we can script a check to know if the customer opted out. That would be useful to follow up an agent's shared comment with corrective action.

I wasn't able to find an answer to this in documentation. There doesn't appear to be a REST API to get customer request opt-in/out data. If not, we'll have to remove the opt-out URL from the template.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Simon Laffont
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2021

Hello @Matthew Dell

@Nathan Lopez is right, this is possible by using our app, Elements Connect. I am part of the Elements support team and I would like to help you to implement this use case.

If you are interested and if you have installed our app, please perform the following actions:

• Go to the Elements Connect administration page
  • Create a Connect field whose Category is "Live" and whose Type is "Text"
  • Then, configure this fields as follows:
    • Datasource: the preconfigured datasource called "Jira database (SQL)"
    • Query: 
      SELECT 
      cu.user_name,
      cu.display_name,
      CASE aos."SUBSCRIBED"
      WHEN 'false' THEN 'disabled'
      ELSE 'enabled'
      END AS notification
      FROM jiraissue ji
      INNER JOIN app_user au ON au.user_key = ji.reporter
      INNER JOIN cwd_user cu ON cu.lower_user_name = au.lower_user_name
      LEFT JOIN "AO_54307E_SUBSCRIPTION" aos ON aos."USER_KEY" = au.user_key AND aos."ISSUE_ID" = $issue.id
      WHERE ji.id = $issue.id
      UNION
      SELECT
      cu.user_name,
      cu.display_name,
      CASE aos."SUBSCRIBED"
      WHEN 'false' THEN 'disabled'
      ELSE 'enabled'
      END AS notification
      FROM customfieldvalue cv
      INNER JOIN customfield cf on cv.customfield = cf.id
      INNER JOIN app_user au on cv.stringvalue = au.user_key
      INNER JOIN cwd_user cu on au.lower_user_name = cu.lower_user_name
      INNER JOIN jiraissue ji on cv.issue = ji.id
      LEFT JOIN "AO_54307E_SUBSCRIPTION" aos ON aos."USER_KEY" = au.user_key AND aos."ISSUE_ID" = $issue.id
      WHERE cf.customfieldtypekey = 'com.atlassian.servicedesk:sd-request-participants'
      AND ji.id = $issue.id
    • Key: 
      {0}
    • Then configure the Editor and the Template as below:
      Editor and Template configuration.png
  • Save this field
  • Add it to you JSM project

Now, let's take the example of the following request:
request example.png

This is the result we get in the Agent view:
Result in agent view.png

Please note that when you add this Connect field to your project, it will not be updated automatically in existing issues. You will have to update this field in each issue, either manually or with a script.

If further help is needed, I invite you to raise a ticket on our Support instance, by clicking here

Kind regards,
Simon.

Matthew Dell May 5, 2021

Thanks @Simon Laffont I'd accomplished something similar, but only populated the field for an issue if any participant turned off notifications. Your solution is superior and I've implemented it successfully. I've been using Automation for Jira to update the field when a comment is made. It's sufficient, but if you have a better solution I'd like to know it.

Thanks,

Matt

Like Simon Laffont likes this
Simon Laffont
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2021

Hi @Matthew Dell

You are welcome. ;)

I would have also suggested Automation for Jira for this purpose. In my opinion, this is the best third-party application to do this.

Kind regards,
Simon.

Like Matthew Dell likes this
0 votes
Nathan Lopez
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 3, 2021

Hello @Matthew Dell,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

While this functionality is not available within core Jira, this can be accomplished utilizing the Elements Connect app.

Suggest an answer