Is it possible to re-order sub-tasks in a kanban board

Albert Puigbó November 17, 2020

Hi,

I have the same issue. You can reorder sub-taks inside a task in Kanban but you can't move the sub-tasks up ad down when the parent task is not present.

Is there any way to do it?

2 answers

0 votes
roxana.garcia January 22, 2021

I have the same problem, something like this: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Task-Board-sorting-subtasks/qaq-p/451885

Task Board - sorting subtasks

is there a way to sort the Subtasks within a kanban board? I have one kanban to track the tasks related to design (only those) and when  I tried to drag and drop them to the right order, it' not possible.

I just want to order the design subtasks without affecting the parent. is that possible?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2021

Hi @roxana.garcia 

Are you using a classic or NextGen project?

For a classic project, drag-and-drop works when you are ordering by Rank, using that to prioritize the work items.  If your board's filter ends with ORDER BY Rank that will work as you describe.

Best regards,

Bill

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2020

Hi @Albert Puigbó 

Would you please clarify what problem you are trying to solve?

Sub-tasks are typically pieces of work to finish the parent item (task or story).  Ordering them without the context of the parent doesn't necessarily make sense if the parent tasks are independent work requests. 

For example, let's say we have 2 parent tasks, each with sub-tasks:

• Parent Task A
    • Sub-task a.1
    • Sub-task a.2
  • Parent Task B
    • Sub-task b.1
    • Sub-task b.2

If we believed that there was ordering overlap between the sub-tasks, there is probably a problem that one or more of the sub-tasks really belongs to the other parent.

Best regards,

Bill

Albert Puigbó November 19, 2020

Thanks, Bill.

I understand your point. When we face the issue I'm mentioning is when we have several people working on the same tasks that have different sub-tasks.

I'd like to order subtasks within every kanban swimlane but I can't as their parent task might be assigned to other people.

Thanks!

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 19, 2020

Thanks for that information, Albert.  I am still trying to understand what problem you are solving by ordering the subtasks within a swimlane.

Is it for work ordering?  If so, might a better way to solve this be not to start later work until the earlier work is completed?

By the way, what method are you using for swimlanes?  If it is by task, you will not be able to reorder outside the lane for the parent task.

Suggest an answer