Is it possible to nest a filter inside another JQL query with native Jira Cloud?

Michael McPadden October 13, 2020

I created a verbose filter that I would like to use to use as a clause in several other filters. This verbose filter that I want to nest, often changes so abstracting it out into a separate filter would be far easier to maintain.

But when I go to nest the filter inside of my other filters, the query doesn't work. The syntax I'm using is "... filter = <verbose filter name>... "

Is this something that native Jira Cloud doesn't support? If so, does anyone know of a free plug in that would support this nesting?

2 answers

2 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2020

Hi @Michael McPadden, you can create a saved filter that invokes another filter by name or id - which is a safer option since that name can change. Have a look at the Advanced search reference – JQL fields. There are a few things to have in mind when you're referencing other filters that you'll find under the notes, in the Filter section of the docs I mentioned.

This is an excerpt from the docs as an example:

Search the results of the filter "My Saved Filter" (which has an ID of 12000) for issues assigned to the user jsmith:
filter = "My Saved Filter" and assignee = jsmith
or
filter = 12000 and assignee = jsmith

I hope that helps.
IL.

Michael McPadden October 14, 2020

Thank you Ivan. This was a big help. I had tried some thing very similar but was getting an error. Thought it was possibly a limitation of the Cloud version. But realized my subtle mistake with a clarification in the doc that you provided. Appreciate your help!

Like Ivan Lima likes this
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2020

Hi @Michael McPadden, I'm glad it worked. If this answer helped you, mark it accepted to help other users find it.

Nuzhath Shereen November 17, 2023

Hi

How do I get the ID of a filter. When I tried using a name, it gave an error stating that the filter name has a reserved word. I tried using quotes to bypass this. But it doesnt seem to work

Thanks,

Nuzhath

1 vote
Answer accepted
final_openshift Certi October 13, 2020

Hi Michael,

You can achieve storing a subquery using the  JQL Search Extension plugin , once you create a subquery it can be saved in the JQL Subquery Section and then can be used from there in other complex queries , please refer to the documents it contains examples and other necessary information related to the usage of plugin

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events