Is it possible to have the time estimates on Stories rollup to their Epic?

Jason Chayer October 18, 2022

Has Jira implemented time estimate rollup to Epics? I have several Epics that I need to see time estimates. However, I have to see the time estimate on the Story and add these together. This seems like a lot of manual work when I should be able to see the remaining time on an Epic. If it is possible on Stories for their subtasks, it should be possible for Epics and their Stories.

5 answers

4 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jason Chayer April 11, 2023

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will look at each application and see if any of them satisfy what we need.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 20, 2022

Hi @Jason Chayer

if you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, here's another app that you might like: JXL for Jira.

Disclaimer: I work on JXL.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting and filtering by all your issue fields. It also comes with support for issue hierarchies and sum-ups (among many other things), meaning that you can easily roll up your estimates. This happens live within the app, so no scripting whatsoever is required.

This is how it looks in action:

epic-sum-up-estimates.gif

You can configure the sum-up style, so you could easily display it e.g. as a progress bar.

Best,

Hannes

0 votes
Answer accepted
Madhu_RVS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2022

Hi @Jason Chayer 

If you are fine with a mktplace app, to get this data, you can try out our plugin and see the time estimates and story points roll up at each hierarchy level

Agile Tools : Epic Tree, Links Tree, Time in Status & Worklogs

Disclaimer : I work for the vendor who built this app

Epic Hierarchy.PNG

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2022

Alternatively, I'm aware of application which does this, it is called

EpicTime for Jira - SumUp of Worklogs & Timesheets

1 vote
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2022

Hi @Jason Chayer 

It is possible using an automation rule 

Which version of Jira server are you using as this might not have Jira automations?

There is an app for server if required. 

Hope this helps,

Danny

Jason Chayer October 18, 2022

@Danny - version 9.0.0

Suggest an answer