Is it possible to have more than one workflow in a business project?

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2022

Most of my projects are company-managed software projects. I was asked to create a simple Purchase Requisition tracker for approvals, purchasing, and Receiving. I have now been asked to create a new issue type with security levels to limit who can see them. I thought I would be able to have the new issue type go through a similar but more limited workflow with one different status than the original workflow. Even though I've added the two separate workflows, it forces me to use one or the other for the project so it doesn't work correctly as planned. I don't know if it is a limitation of the business project type or if I am doing something wrong.

I have a multi-workflow software project that allows me to do this but I am able to use multiple boards for the overall process flow.

I have a feeling that I am going to be forced to create a new software project and migrate the issues to that.

Can anybody help enlighten/confirm my suspicions?

2 answers

0 votes
B_ Normann P_ Nielsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2022

You can only have one workflow for an issue type pr. Project.

But for each project, the issuetype can have different workflows.

If 2 workflows are needed, the possible solution is to merge them together to one workflow, representing both workflows  - based on what is available as fields, hidden fields and conditions, validators and post functions...

It will complicate stuff though.

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2022

@B_ Normann P_ Nielsenthat's the conclusion I came to as well. It's what I decided to do while waiting for a possible workaround. The issue now will be a column in my workflow that for most people in the company will be empty.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2022

Hi Danno,

Not yet - that is if you want the built-in board to function. Hopefully, they are working on that. I would suggest you click the Give Feedback button the bottom left side of the project and let them know you would like that. 

Having said that, you can actually attached a workflow scheme with multiple workflows to a business project, and then create a separate board that would function with that workflow scheme. You just wouldn't be able to use the built in Business project board. 

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2022

@John FunkI was originally thinking that was how I was going to handle it. A second board. This is what I've done in the past for my other projects with more than one workflow. I couldn't figure out how to make it work in the business project though. I had the different issue types with their corresponding workflows in the project but it kept wanting to assign all of the issues to one of the two workflows.

Am I missing something here?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2022

You will need to create a filter for the JWM project, something like Project = ABC ORDER by Rank ASC where ABC is the project key for your JWM project. Be sure to save the filter and share it. Or you can use an existing filter if one exists with the same issues in it.

Go to your list of boards and click on Create board

Choose either Kanban or Scrum

Choose create based on an existing Filter.

Then attach it to the new filter you just created.

For the Location field, you will not be able to use a Team-managed, Business, or JSM Project - only Classic Software projects. Or you can link to your profile - probably best in this case. But this will not keep the new board from working - it really only cares about the project(s) in the filter.

Then you are all set. You can modify the board as you need to.

One side note - you will not be able to click on the Board option as normal for the project as that will take you to the built-in board. You will need add a shortcut on the left side menu and include a link to the new board. 

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2022

@John FunkI have used your suggestion to create a board to limit the number of Status choices for a user who only needed to see certain parts of the workflow and linked it to the same project as you described.

I will try this out in the sandbox. I will try this out in the sandbox and let you know.

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events