Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Is it possible to have different sprint capacity for each sprint?

The team or availability of team members doesn't stay constant.
If a team member is on leave this week, is it possible to adjust the team capacity only for this sprint?
Expectation would be for the capacity to revert to actual value after sprint. More so, is it possible to connect it with an HR software so that if an employee has applied for leave for some specific day, the capacity automatically reflects in the plan?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

You can, but to do it, you need to edit the settings for each sprint, and that's a) painful and b) throwing off your reporting.

One of the points of Agile is that you cannot assume 100% availability of the team, you need  to adjust to what they can, not what you tell them they should.

It does sound like a bodge, but the easiest thing to do is treat "human away for something" as though it's just another story. 

Imagine a simple Scrum based process you've been doing for a while.  Your team is 7 people (5 developers, a product owner and a scrum master) and over the last few months, the team has consistently been delivering 25 story points of issues every week.

One of your developers, Charlie, books a holiday.  Charlie is going to be away for one week during sprint X, for 5 working days.   

So, you can say that a story of "Charlie needs a holiday" is a valid deliverable.  Create an issue for it, put an estimate of 1/5 of your normal weekly velocity on it, and add it to the sprint.

Having "person not available because <xyz>" as a story really can make it a lot easier to manage agile teams.  It was the first question I asked of the person who first suggested I should read the agile manifesto, and also the answer we got when we asked them.

This seems like a solution that could work, let me give it a try! Thanks! 

0 votes
Florian PEREZ Community Leader Jan 07, 2022

Automatically that's seems hard. 

The better I can say to help is Bigpicture maybe have a solution for the holidays. This will help you to know how to plan but you'll have to adpat the sprint manually.

Hope this help ! 

Anna-BigPicture Marketplace Partner Jan 10, 2022

Hi @Chiranjib B

Thank you @florianper for mentioning BigPicture. Indeed, the app may solve your issue because it lets you plan stories based on actual resource availability. Moreover, every user can submit his absence in the app what will affect (decrease) the overall team capacity in days of absence.

Let me know if you have more questions. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

👋 Looking for 15-20 volunteers to test Atlassian training content

Hi everyone! Are you interested in beta testing Atlassian University’s newest (unreleased!) training course? We’re looking for 15-20 volunteers to test our newest training course, Basic reporting...

746 views 23 27
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you