Is it possible to have a template of sub-tasks that are commonly used

Jim Constant November 26, 2014

We find ourselves creating the same sub-tasks for a lot of stories which is very tedious. is there a way to have a common set of sub-tasks for a new story to make tasking out stories easier?

8 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Bajrak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2014

Yes, it's. Issue template can autocomplite issue, subtask when you create issue. It can create set of subtasks in postfunction for example after creation of issue. You can use some variables in creating issues or subtasks and it has more features.

5 votes
jennifer June 20, 2019

So just to be clear - as of the 8.1 install, there isn't a way to do this without downloading a plugin or using cloning as a workaround? How is that possible?

I'm still very new to Jira so there's certainly stuff I don't understand, but it looks to me like we pay for a product only to have to download other products (many of which are paid) to achieve the automation and efficiency which Jira is supposed to handle for us. Given that getting new software approved can sometimes be a weeks-long (or even months-long) process, why on earth would a company that supports managing agile work (which is based around understanding your user) ever think that this model works for anyone? 

Sorry to vent--I just don't understand why copying issues is so freaking hard in this tool. I shouldn't have to learn a new coding language just to copy an issue. Loading 300 issues has literally taken my team several weeks because we keep having to stop to learn code and new functionality that we thought would be simple.

philosurfer July 10, 2019

I feel the same way... The whole marketplace is a BS factory of things that should be core features to Jira. 

We are seriously considering migrating our whole org away from jira for things exactly like this. 

Like # people like this
2 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2014

Yes. You can add a postfunction on create, after the last standard JIRA action. In that, you can specify the creation of the subtasks.

Adding to what Micha said, you can achieve that using:

2 votes
Micha Kops
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 26, 2014

@Jim Constant: There are different plugins for this scenario:

I have written the first one btw smile

1 vote
Shaun Wickramaratne September 9, 2015

Can we approach this without buying a plugin version. My company they don't have the above mentioned links products. But we have JIRA which purchased. 

What one of my project team need is, creating several templates and each and every templates have its own already created sub tasks. So when choosing the template, the all the sub tasks needs to be created automatically.

Is there way that I can solve this without going to buying the purchase version of plugins?

Thanks All,

Regards

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 9, 2015

No.

Shaun Wickramaratne September 16, 2015

Thanks Ragu

Like Gregg_Harfleet likes this
Micha Kops
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 16, 2015

Some of the plugins are free, though so you don't need to purchase anything?

Like darrendonnelly likes this
Casper Opperman May 24, 2016

We have a very crude solution:

We create a task with the relevant subtasks which we keep as a "template" task. Should anybody then need to create a task with relevant subtasks, the "template" task is cloned. (The subtasks are also cloned) when the main task is cloned. We have also created an admin user to whom the template tasks are assigned. The template tasks has all the relevant instructions written into the "Description" to explain to the user what to do.

Like # people like this
Zachary Kent September 8, 2017

This is a good non-plugin option.

Josh Drum August 9, 2018

This is such basic functionality its ridiculous to not have it in the base product.

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2018

@Josh Drum, I use Automation Lite for Jira Cloud (free) to accomplish this functionality. there is a version for server as well.

Like jim_rice_us likes this
Ian Kelly September 13, 2018

Totally agree Josh, and Caspers solution seems to be the most logical approach.

Jira seems to be so much a MaaS (marketplace as a service)
Trello makes this kind of working easier, and better laid out IMO

Like gina.kotz likes this
gina.kotz July 29, 2019

I think this is a new term, now, "The Casper Solution" for Jira templates. Thank you to @Casper Opperman !

0 votes
Dwaraka Karanam September 12, 2019

Casper, I tried the non-plug-in option of cloning the template issue (with a dozen sub-tasks), but the sub-tasks didn't get copied. I am on Jira-server with portfolio. Any pointers on why it could have failed? thanks in advance.

Dwarakanath Karanam

0 votes
Joshwa Marcalle
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 28, 2018

Hi Daniel,

There is also this one which I believe is very good and useful: 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1218418/automatic-subtasks-professional?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Josh

OB1

0 votes
Jim Constant November 28, 2014

Thank you all! These all look great!

Suggest an answer