Is it possible to clone issue changes across different projects?

Leons Gumba April 30, 2024

Hello! I've set up a rule in Jira Cloud Automation to clone issues from one project to another upon their creation. But I also need subsequent updates to the original issue to be automatically cloned to the newly created issue in the destination project as well.

For example, a user creates an issue in Project A and this issue is successfully cloned to Project B based on the automation rule. Then, a user makes changes to that issue inside the initial Project A (e.g. changes a value inside a custom field, adds a comment or an attachment, etc.). Is there a way, without using third-party apps, to clone these changes in real time to the corresponding issue in Project B?

If it's not possible, what's the best way to track the changes in the initial issue for users who work in Project B? Perhaps, linking those issues together somehow?

1 answer

0 votes
Kalyan Sattaluri
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2024

Hello @Leons Gumba 

Welcome to community. yes, its possible natively.

You need to write another rule with trigger - Field value changed and choose all your fields you want to monitor/sync.

Then you branch on linked issues, choose link type as Cloned and then you can edit the issue in Project B with values frmo the trigger issue. you will need to reference trigger issue fields as {{triggerissue.field}}..

Just curious, will there be just 1 cloned issue..

Leons Gumba April 30, 2024

Hey @Kalyan Sattaluri thank you very much for your reply!

I'm trying to figure out how to implement your suggestion. I'm probably doing it wrong right now, so I'll share a screenshot. Maybe you can tell me what I should change in this setup?

Screenshot 2024-04-30 175600.png

Kalyan Sattaluri
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2024

hello @Leons Gumba 

What you have is correct and it should work.

Just note that if your linked issue is in another project, then you have to expand the scope of your rule in rule details to include both projects so that the cloned issue can be updated.

If you dont have permissions to increase scope, then unfortunately, you have to make use of REST api to do this update.

Hope it helps, let us know if issues.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events