Is it possible to access JIRA tickets of a different server (separate organization's JIRA) ?

Debankur Ghosh January 4, 2021

Hi,

Is it possible to access JIRA tickets of a different server (separate organization's JIRA) and vice versa?

I want to check tickets logged by a different organization(vendor) on their JIRA cloud and they should be able to check ours .

Thanks in Advance!!

5 answers

2 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2021

Hi @Debankur Ghosh ,

Can you explain a bit more your use case?

• What kind of tickets are they? and in what kind of project are they logged?
  • Are those tickets logged through a customer (if so they can be shared with you without having a license)
  • Are they a software project or do you need agent access? If so I fear they will need to add you as a software user or agent (and consume a license) and vice versa but then you need to check your security (could be through a security level or a role)
  • Another workarround could be a 2 way sync between the instances and thus duplicating the project on either side (with depending on the project one being the master and another the slave). I know such apps as Exalate that can do that.

But like I said, more info could help in better feedback

Debankur Ghosh February 2, 2021

Thanks a lot for your reply @Dirk Ronsmans . I will get back to you with more information.

1 vote
Jose Lobo (Solutions Architect at Exalate)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2021

Hey @Debankur Ghosh 

Thank you for your inquiry,

I'm Jose, from the Exalate team. 

Your use case looks like a good case to use Exalate to mirror tickets between multiple Jira instances. It is what we call a "Cross-Company" integration

Exalate creates a mirror ticket, after that, tickets in sync will update bi-directionally in both orgs. You won't be able to log in the other Jira but you will have all the information in both instances.

Let me know if this answers your question,

TL;DR: Exalate can help you accomplish this in a smooth way without creating new users in any of the two instances 🙂

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2021

Hey @Jose Lobo (Solutions Architect at Exalate) perhaps a side question, but how would that work in licensing?

Do both instances require a license to push/push or is there a one sides push/pull mechanism.

I'm looking at integration apps myself for a couple of use cases :)

@Debankur Ghosh apologies to highjack your question :)

Like Debankur Ghosh likes this
Jose Lobo (Solutions Architect at Exalate)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2021

Hey @Dirk Ronsmans

You would need an Exalate license for each of the instances. The license has unlimited syncs and connections.

Price is based in user tier of the instance (Just like any other Atl Marketplace addon).  You can check it here

If you are interested to see how the tool works feel free to reach out!

0 votes
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2021

Hi @Debankur Ghosh,

there are various options how you can collaborate in such a scenario. As @Dirk Ronsmans pointed out, it would be great to get some more insights into your scenario.

In general, I can think of these options:

1. (Shared) user account in the other instance
    You can directly give the other people access to your cloud project - and also to only some issues of your project if you use issue security schemes. And your partner could do the same vice versa.
    If you're concerned about user limits, you could also create a shared user to save user costs.
  2. Board across multiple instances
    You can use an app like Watchtower to access issues from other instances via one Board. I haven't used this app myself, but it seems you also still need a shared user or an application link between your instances. I'm not aware of similar apps like this.
  3. Synchronize Jira issues between instances
    You can use an issue sync app in order to synchronize the desired issues between your Jira instances. In these apps, you can configure in a more detailed way what data you want to share with your partner.
    That's also the solution @Jose Lobo (Solutions Architect at Exalate) and @Jillian Amyot _Unito_ already mentioned with their apps, but I thought it might be better if you have the link to all the issue sync apps.

Hope this summary helps.

Cheers,
Matthias

PS: I'm part of the Backbone Issue Sync team.

Thanks a lot for your reply @Matthias Gaiser _K15t_ . I will get back to you with more information.

0 votes
Jillian Amyot _Unito_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 4, 2021

Hi @Debankur Ghosh , you can set up a two way sync between your company's Jira and a seperate organization's Jira with Unito. That way, you can choose which information you would like synced, and you can continuously share information back and forth! Here is a page with more information on a Jira + Jira Integration. Hope this helps! 

0 votes
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 4, 2021

Hi @Debankur Ghosh 

Welcome to community! What you're asking is a two-way communication between two different Instances. By default it's not possible due to how Atlassian enforces the use of licenses. which in this case, you can't view a project in another instance and not consume a license and the project can't be public as the information within needs security. However this may be possible with a third party app. I do not have any particular app in mind but probably a search in Atlassian Marketplace might help you narrow down your needs.

Subsequently, you could look into Jira Service Management as a way to group organizations and know what tickets are logged by members of such organization on different projects on either instances, where you have a Customer portal account. However this is quite minimal to say the least.

Thanks a lot for your reply @Dirk Ronsmans. I will get back to you with more information.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events