Is anyone also having issues with setting different text types, e.g. Heading 1

Christian Wietholt July 9, 2018

Last week the text fields in my issues stopped accepting changes in text style, mainly the very convenient 'Heading' menu doesn't work anymore. I used to be able to highlight a text, then selected e.g. Heading 3 and the text would be in bold and larger font. Any idea what could have caused this? Here is the reproducer: 

1. Open an issue and edit the main description
  2. Highlight a line of text
  3. Select the type of heading, e.g. "Heading 3"

Expected Result: 

• Highlighted text in bold with larger font

Result:

• Nothing happens

I have not changed anything in the configuration of Jira, and when I copy and past text with altered formatting, it is being displayed correctly, just setting it with the 'heading' menu stopped working. I can also use the 'bold' button. 

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 10, 2018

Are you using Jira Cloud or Jira Server?

Editing descriptions in the steps you provided works in both for me, but they appear to be doing it a little bit differently.  In Jira Server, the description editor has 2 modes: Visual and text.  When using visual mode, it does this change visibly right away.

But when using text mode, it instead prepends h1. to my highlighted text.   This is because the text mode is not intended to show markup directly, but rather you can see these markup codes along with your text directly.

Right now, my Jira Cloud instance doesn't show this option for Visual vs Text mode.  Instead it seems to be defaulting to text mode only, but with a preview button that shows the visual mode.

Either way you should still be able to make these changes, I'm just curious if you need to save the changes before they appear correctly, or if something else is going on here.

Christian Wietholt July 11, 2018

Thanks for your answer. I am using the WYSIWYG mode of the editor. As you, I was not able to find a switch for the markup editor mode. That is particularly annoying when the editor decides to go into markup mode in other locations. I forgot on which widget that happened to me. 

My Jira is currently hosted at atlassian.net. 

When I use the heading menu, I can click on the different items, and it is not only that the text doesn't change the style, but even the menu doesn't close anymore after I click on an item in it. It just flashes, but stays open and won't take the input, e.g. 

1. Highlight text in the WYSIWYG editor
  2. Open the pull down menu
  3. Select "Heading 3"
  4. Selection flashes but pull down menu stays open
  5. Highlighted text does not change

I would expect: 

1. Selection flashes
  2. pull down menu closes
  3. highlighted text enlarged and bold

If I copy and paste an existing heading from an earlier session, and then change the words, I can see the different style.

Suggest an answer