Is anyone able to use "When Sprint Started" automation rules?

Allan_Ditzel June 13, 2020

We are trying to create a rule that aims to transition issues from the TO DO column to the next column if the values in some custom fields are not null. When we try turning on/publishing the rule we see the following error:

The rule has been configured with components that require issues to be provided by the trigger. To run these components you must add a branch for this sprint or JQL. The following components require issues: Issue condition, Transition issue

Does anyone have idea of what is happening or what we're missing?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2020

Hi Allan - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Can you give an example of exactly what you are trying to do? I am having a little trouble understanding exactly what you are doing. 

Also, can you include a screenshot of the current rule you have?

Allan_Ditzel June 13, 2020

Thank you for replying. We have a next-gen project in a scrum configuration. 

What we would like to do is that when a sprint is started all of the issues that are automatically added to the backlog to be evaluated and based on whether three custom fields have a value, i.e. aren't null, then they are automatically transitioned to the next stage/column in the work flow.

Below is the automation rule we're attempting to configure and publish and the error we receive.

jira_automation_error.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2020

Thanks for the explanation.

Try adding a Branch rule (the purple one) and select Issues in the sprint for the second component (right after When Sprint started).

The put all of your conditions under that and see if it helps you. 

Like # people like this
Allan_Ditzel June 15, 2020

That seems to have worked! Thank you very much for the help. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 15, 2020

Great! Glad I could help!

Stefan Slawidis August 17, 2020

Hi @Allan_Ditzel maybe you can share a screenshot from the solution. I'm facing the same issue and I'm currently not working with branches. So I'm not sure if the suggested solution applies to me.

Thanks in advance.

Update: I solved it via the Branch "For issues in this sprint". Maybe this will help someone.

2020-08-17 11_53_38-Project automation - Jira.png

Like # people like this
Markus Wagner
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 4, 2023

Awesome thanks!

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders